Technical Outreach Officer
We are looking to recruit a Technical Outreach Officer for Europe PMC, within the Literature Services team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI), located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
Europe PMC is Europe's largest repository of freely available life sciences research articles, containing over 30 million biomedical research full text articles and abstracts. Europe PMC is funded by 29 funders across Europe, coordinated by the Wellcome Trust, and is the primary repository that supports their Open Access policies.
A key part of our mission is to make content and metadata available through APIs and bulk downloads, for consumption by application developers, data miners, hackers and researchers.
- To fulfil this role, you will need to have good insight into the needs of developers and API users, probably from using APIs and developing apps yourself.
- You should have a strong interest in open data in application development or text mining workflows.
- You will need to attend, deliver and organise events such as webinars and hackathons, you will need good communication (written and verbal) and organisational skills alongside your developer skills.
- You will be supported in the role by the Community Manager and our core developer team.
This is a challenging position that would suit an open data enthusiast. You will find yourself working on an exciting project in an international environment. If you think you can fulfil the role, then we would really like to hear from you.
- Hands on experience developing, using, or documenting APIs
- Ability to make strategic plans for communications and outreach to technical audiences
- Ability to plan, write, and edit written communications, including social media and developer forum posts
- Ability to plan, travel to, and attend events such as workshops, hackathons, and sprints
- Ability to prepare and deliver presentations and webinars
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
Tip: Solent Futures, Solent University’s employability and enterprise service advises that you ensure your CV is the best it can be before you submit it. Look at our online guide or email email@example.com for feedback. You might want to visit us in RM 001 11am – 4pm to get your CV checked and, if you are invited for interview, to arrange for a mock interview.