Project Support Officer
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The European Bioinformatics Institute is a duty station of EMBL here in the UK and focuses on the potential of ‘big data’ in biology, enabling scientists to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind.
EMBL-EBI is looking for an project support officer to be based within the Strategic Project Management Office (SPMO). He/she will be expected, in cooperation with colleagues throughout EMBL-EBI and the wider organisation, to support a broad spectrum of projects and activities within EMBL-EBI’s administration services. The post holder will directly report to a Project Management Officer, within the SPMO, whilst working closely with the senior administration management.
Duties can change over time but those currently projected or of an ongoing nature are:
- Active involvement in running administrative reporting, compiling of statistics, data analysis and documenting existing administrative processes.
- Central management and reporting of administrative projects status, including tracking progress and monitoring delivery for the Head of Administration and Operations.
- Assisting in mapping and reporting of Administrative and Operational projects and activities to EMBL and EBI directorial goals and objectives.
- Internal stakeholder management and operational data gathering including working with EMBL-EBI committee members, to ensure smooth annual reporting processes for elements such as risk, finance, procurement, facility requirements and human resource needs.
- Support administrative events and groups including internal project management network seminars and managing the organising of one off external events.
- Keeping up to date the Administrations’ team pages on the intranet and or internet by working with the relevant teams. This would include seeking feedback and ensuring that the any enhancements are discussed collectively.
- Coordinate stories and articles to contribute to Administration’s section of latest news and process updates.
- Possible existing and future projects the role could support:
- Infrastructure projects, (procurement and delivery)
- Contract and Performance Management tool implementation
- HR Knowledge data base improvements (manuals and documents)
- Extending the 'administrative portals' to enable staff and supervisors/managers to view information and download forms or to start electronic workflows.
Applicants should have practical work experience in managing a variety of projects. Ease in working with Excel is essential.
The ideal candidate should:
- Be organised, forward thinking and be able to work on their own initiative
- Be able to take initiative, possess analytical skills, and be capable of proposing imaginative and practical solutions;
- Have demonstrable project management skills as well as excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Be comfortable and confident to work in a standalone capacity as well as foster team working;
- Be confident to challenge established ways of working and evolve new practices appropriate to the organisations future challenge;
- Handle a variety of tasks with numerous interruptions and under strict timelines;
- Pay attention to detail
Fluency in spoken and written English is essential for this position.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
Tip: Solent Futures, Solent University’s employability and enterprise service advises that you ensure your CV is the best it can be before you submit it. Look at our online guide or email email@example.com for feedback. You might want to visit us in RM 001 11am – 4pm to get your CV checked and, if you are invited for interview, to arrange for a mock interview.