Design Engineer Placement
3M captures the spark of new ideas and transforms them into thousands of ingenious products.
Our culture of creative collaboration inspires a never-ending stream of powerful technologies that make life better. 3M is the innovation company that never stops inventing.
With $32 billion in sales, 3M employs 90,000 people worldwide and has operations in more than 70 countries. The UK and Ireland is home to one of the largest 3M subsidiaries outside the USA, employing 3,200 people across 17 locations, including 10 manufacturing sites. Products manufactured in the UK include coated abrasives, personal safety equipment, adhesive tapes, industrial microbiology products, drug delivery systems, high-performance coatings, secure documents, passport readers and imaging systems.
Unleash your potential.
Our success depends on the energy of our employees and the high quality of their leadership. Most of all it depends on their continuous improvement.
From sales to manufacturing to marketing to engineering, if you're committed to expanding your knowledge and gaining leading-edge skills, this is the place to do it. Professional development at 3M includes excellent training, continuing educational support, mentorship from smart, experienced people and more.
Move up - or move in new directions.
You'll find a strong promote-from-within culture here; it's an important aspect of our emphasis on learning and professional growth. You may also move between business units or even, potentially, to different locations around the world. That's one of the many advantages of our diverse business model and global reach.
3M Health Care are offering an Industrial Placement opportunity within their Inhalation Drug Delivery R&D group, Loughborough. The role is for a Product Design Engineer supporting the Hardgoods Design and Development group. This group is responsible for the design and development of 3M Health Care's global asthma inhalers, from the aerosol can, metering valve, and dose counters to full mechanical and electromechanical devices. Most of our parts are high-precision plastic injection mouldings and the role is more mechanical than industrial or electronic design focused.
- Generation and modification of 3D CAD models
- Design input on projects
- CAD renderings
- Product Development R&D
- Testing equipment design and manufacture
- Organising and managing supply of rapid-prototyped and machined parts
- Laboratory based functional testing of prototypes
- Investigations and problem solving
- Right to live and work in the UK
- Minimum 2:1 BEng in first year exams
- 120 UCAS points at A-Level or equivalent qualification (300 UCAS points based on previous UCAS points system) including STEM subjects
- Valid UK driving license preferred, but not essential
- A specific design degree is not required, but candidates should be able to demonstrate creative design skills and logically solve technical briefs.
- All design work should be based on and accompanied by a solid engineering understanding.
- CAD skills are essential, although training will be given and pure Mechanical Engineering students with less CAD experience shouldn't be put off!
- An understanding of the injection moulding process and tooling would be beneficial although not a requirement.
- An understanding of integrating mechanical systems with electronics and software would be beneficial although not a requirement.
- Honest and professional
- Work and problem solve as part of a team
- 25 days paid annual holiday, plus Bank Holidays.
- Contributory Stakeholder Pension Scheme
- Life Assurance Scheme 4 x salary
- General Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Discount on 3M products
- Reduced subscriptions on various insurance schemes
- Employee Assistance Programme
- This is the eleventh year that we have taken placement students into this group and have been pleased with the work that has been completed and the range of opportunities and development we have been able to give in return.
- Someone who shows aptitude will have the exposure and chance to contribute to all of our projects and develop their CAD, product development and design skills to a professional level.
Tip: Solent Futures, Solent University’s employability and enterprise service advises that you ensure your CV is the best it can be before you submit it. Look at our online guide or email firstname.lastname@example.org for feedback. You might want to visit us in RM 001 11am – 4pm to get your CV checked and, if you are invited for interview, to arrange for a mock interview.