Technical Writer Placement
Join Unity’s global Documentation team and help us take our award-winning docs to the next level for millions of Unity users worldwide. We’re looking for a talented student with passion and drive, a technical aptitude, and excellent writing and editing skills.
There is no set path to becoming a good technical author, which is why we’re less concerned about specific university degrees or experience.
We’re looking for someone ready to put their writing skills to the test, who has enthusiasm and a genuine interest in documentation and technical content. We will support you in forming good working relationships with developers across the globe, and working collaboratively with a talented Docs team to produce great documentation that simplifies, explains, and empowers users to get the most from Unity products.
As part of Unity’s Engineering division, our growing Docs team works with colleagues across the world, from development teams through to Support, Community, QA, Marketing, and User Experience. You’ll join a talented, dynamic team of technical writers, content managers, and information architects working across countries and time zones to support a passionate, growing community of developers and artists.
This position is a one year paid internship, starting in summer 2019.
- Writing, updating and maintaining User Manual and Scripting API content
- Using a custom-built content management system to write, manage and publish modularised content
- Writing specific code examples to complement existing and new content
- Planning, scheduling, and delivering technical documentation to support software releases
- Gathering, editing, and publishing subject-specific knowledge
- Collaborating with internal subject matter experts across multiple locations and time zones
- Using internal templates, standards and our in-house style guide (based on the Microsoft Writing Style Guide) to develop clear, reusable content
- You are currently studying at a University and looking for a placement year
- Excellent computing skills, with an understanding of programming
- Very high standard of written and spoken English
- Ability to deliver results under tight deadlines
- Strong analytical skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- Passion for games and any experience of Unity or 3D game development
- Knowledge or experience of programming languages, especially C#
- Experience producing documentation using HTML/CSS or Markdown
- Understanding of source control tools (e.g. GitHub, Mercurial) and techniques
- Any Slack, Twitter, forum, or community management skills