Young Carers Activity Worker
We are looking for reliable, fun and friendly people to support the activity workers deliver a varied activity programme to our young carers. We have many opportunities available to our young carers but with more volunteer support we will be able to expand on our existing provision. There will be varying time slots available so any amount of spare time you have to commit to volunteering with us would be gratefully accepted.
- Face to face group youth work.
- Supporting young people at clubs/activities/trips.
- Helping to deliver club based activities.
- Being available for the occasional, relevant training and volunteer meetings.
- Term time:
- Tuesdays – Club in Eastleigh, 4:30pm-6pm, (2nd, 3rd and 4th of every month)
- Wednesdays – Mixed aged Social Skills (1st of every month)
- Club in Lowford, 6:15pm-7:45pm, (2nd, 3rd, 4th of every month)
- Thursdays – Club in Hedge End, 5-6:30pm, (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th of every month)
- Life Skills
- Will have one session a month and rotate between the three clubs. Social skills club will not be part of the rotation.
- Occasional extra opportunities can come up from time to time but these will mainly be weekday evenings and rarely weekends.
- School holidays
- We run an extensive activity programme over all the school holidays. We aim for a minimum of two trips for every week of a holiday. They can be scheduled for any week day and the occasional weekend. The holiday schedule is confirmed 2 months before the first day.
- A responsible, reliable, warm, friendly, calm, fun person.
- Flexibility, confidence and good social skills.
- A good role model to young people.
- An ability to build healthy relationships with young people and their families quickly.
- An ability to encourage young people to achieve their goals and take part in the activities provided.
- An ability to nurture the confidence and self-esteem of young people.
- An understanding of child protection, confidentiality, boundaries and risk assessments would be an advantage but training can be provided,
- Experience of working with young people is an advantage. Reasonable travel expenses will be paid.
- A DBS check may be required. Being available for relevant training is essential.
Tip: Solent Futures, Solent University’s employability and enterprise service advises that you ensure your CV is the best it can be before you submit it. Look at our online guide or email firstname.lastname@example.org for feedback. You might want to visit us in RM 001 11am – 4pm to get your CV checked and, if you are invited for interview, to arrange for a mock interview.
Please note this opportunity is unpaid. Southampton Solent University does not endorse unpaid opportunities outside of the curriculum. However, should you decide to take on this position you need to consider your financial situation and consider how you would support yourself for the duration of the experience. If you have any questions about this opportunity please contact email@example.com .
Southampton Solent University has a limited funding scheme to support students on unpaid work experience or placement opportunities@ https://portal.solent.ac.uk/support/finance/student-funding/unpaid-placement-work-experience-grant.aspx