Event Support Placements
Millbrook offers four unique venues with the capacity to run indoor events for between 30 and 1,250 delegates and outdoor space to accommodate up to 5,000. The Events team at Millbrook is responsible for the delivery of a wide range of experiential events, primarily working with our agency clients for customers in the automotive industry and a small number of other clients, most of whom are household names. These events primarily comprise of automotive product launches & associated training, exhibitions and conferences, with a significant proportion of these using Millbrook’s famous test tracks, either as a core element when dealing with automotive customers, or to enhance events for other industry sectors.
Millbrook has a team of Event Managers who work to deliver the events and the two Event Support positions are part of this team of dynamic individuals working to ensure that we consistently exceed our clients’ expectations.
- Reporting to the Event Operations Manager, the successful candidates will support the Event Management team in the planning and delivery of customer events and, ultimately, will take the responsibility for running their own events. This will involve initial discussions with the customer, creating proposals, selecting and briefing relevant suppliers (external staff, AV, florists, caterers, etc.) and, finally, running the event to exceed the customer’s expectations.
- Working within a small team means that you will build strong relationships, not only with your immediate colleagues, but also with management and other departments within Millbrook and beyond
- The events and the environment that you are exposed to will give you an unparalleled opportunity to build a working knowledge of the delivery of events, as you will gain experience in a number of key areas including, but not limited to: AV deployment, set design and build, management of personnel, logistics, use of process, Health & Safety, supplier management, delegate management and customer management.
- Are considering a career in the events industry.
- Are studying for an Event Management degree or similar.
- Hold a full driving licence and own their own vehicle (essential due to the facilities’ location).
- Are proficient in Microsoft Word / Excel / PowerPoint applications.
- Exhibit the following attributes: are team players, hold a positive and proactive attitude, possess excellent communication (written and oral) skills, are self-motivated with excellent organisational skills, are creative and can work to deadlines.
- Are dedicated and prepared to work occasional long hours and some weekends when necessary, being flexible as required.
- Will get involved in a variety of aspects of the job, not all of which are glamorous.
- Can get on with a wide range of people.
- The team you will work with are extremely supportive and will make every effort to further your development with practical experience of the industry.
- You will also get involved with recruiting your replacement for the following year, which is an invaluable experience to further your curriculum vitae and interview technique, as it will give you an insight into the way that candidates are selected for employment.
- Millbrook not only presents you with an amazing work placement year but also allows you to create relationships with suppliers, customers and event agencies that may all be useful in your later career. This placement is the perfect environment for you to experience the events industry and you will have the opportunity to leave with most of the skills required to become a successful Event Manager.
Tip: Solent Futures, Solent University’s employability and enterprise service advises that you ensure your CV is the best it can be before you submit it. Look at our online guide or email firstname.lastname@example.org for feedback. You might want to visit us in RM 001 11am – 4pm to get your CV checked and, if you are invited for interview, to arrange for a mock interview.