Student Scheme for Technologists
At GCHQ, we work closely with other intelligence agencies to keep the nation safe. We work against unique, complex threats; everything from cyber-attacks and espionage, to terror plots and serious organised crime. It means your work will be incredibly interesting, and unlike anything you'll find anywhere else. On our student scheme, you'll grow your technology skills and help to keep our nation safe.
GCHQ is offering you an exciting opportunity to join our organisation on a Student Scheme for Technologists (SST) in one of our Technology areas for an 11 weeks paid Summer placement or an industry year placement.
Learning through valuable, hands-on experience, you'll work on real-life projects to safeguard national security. With opportunities in areas from Computer Network Operations to Research and Engineering, there's a huge range of roles and scope for people from all walks of life.
- Support national security objectives
- Develop capabilities to access the computers of a terrorist group
- Carry out operations to retrieve vital online clues about the location and identity of members of organised crime rings
- You'll be studying a STEM subject (or a Joint Honours degree) and on track for at least a 2:2
- You should be set to graduate in either 2020 or 2021
- An ability to undertake complex coding tasks and evidence of having done so either at university or as a hobby
- You have an understanding of internet communications protocols, including knowledge of how these protocols are commonly secured
- You’ll love solving problems, and have a good understanding of operating systems and their programming interfaces
Join us in a supportive, collaborative environment where there's the scope to do things that aren't possible elsewhere
At GCHQ we’re proud of our inclusive and supportive working environment that’s designed to encourage open minds and attitudes. As an organisation that values and nurtures talent, we’re committed to helping you fulfil your potential. With comprehensive training and development opportunities that will combine placements in various teams and hands-on training, we’ll enable you to grow your skills and perform to the best of your abilities. Supported by our collaborative learning environment, you’ll soon be working on projects that help keep Britain safe.
At the end of your Summer placement, you could be considered for another summer placement or full-time employment.