Engineering Future Leaders
Engineering is the lifeblood of Heathrow. Our engineering teams work across the airport on a huge range of state of the art development, construction and maintenance projects. Together, they are responsible for £14bn worth of assets, including 4 million square metres of airfield pavements, 180km of airside and landside roads, 33 surface car parks, 50 tunnels and 31 bridges, not to mention the largest private water distribution system in Europe.
Join us, as one of our graduate engineers, as we develop our assets for a growing airport, to make them more efficient, intelligent and innovative than ever before. Where would you like to start?
This is a two-year professional development programme, which prepares you for management roles within engineering and asset management. You will gain a breadth of exposure to our work, including airside and landside operations, water management, power generation, terminal operations and rail. You will join us on significant projects and learn from our expert engineers, on a personalised programme that will take into account your aspirations, passions and skills.
- To make it onto this programme, you need a genuine passion for engineering as well as an engineering degree in an electrical/electronics, civil or mechanical discipline.
- Excellent communication skills are very important.
- Above all, you must have a real drive to develop and improve, and the desire to continue learning about different areas of our business throughout the two-year programme and beyond.
- For our Engineering Future Leaders Programme, you need to be studying for, or already have achieved, an undergraduate degree in an engineering discipline.
- Progression along a comprehensive and defined training route, while receiving one-to-one coaching from mentors and sponsors, will build up your knowledge, experience and the leadership skills needed to succeed as a future leader at Heathrow.
- Our expectation is that you will go on to achieve Chartered Engineer status with us and, ideally, take a fast-track route into a managerial role. What do you dream of achieving?
- It begins with an online application, including the opportunity to explore your responses to scenarios which you may come across at Heathrow.
- The next step will allow you to demonstrate your numerical, verbal and abstract abilities through a game-based mobile application.
- We will conduct a video interview to further explore your behaviours, building upon your online application.
- A telephone coaching interview will be the penultimate step in the process, giving you a chance to discuss your experiences so far, explore the role in more detail and consider how to prepare for an assessment centre.
- Finally, you will attend an assessment centre based at Heathrow, which will involve a range of activities to explore your strengths and behaviours.
- We assess candidates at each stage, and invite those who are successful to the next phase of the process. Full details of each activity will be outlined in detail before each stage.
Tip: Solent Futures, Solent University’s employability and enterprise service advises that you ensure your CV is the best it can be before you submit it. Look at our online guide or email email@example.com for feedback. You might want to visit us in RM 001 11am – 4pm to get your CV checked and, if you are invited for interview, to arrange for a mock interview.