Bus Management Graduate
On Go Ahead’s two-year bus management graduate programme you won’t be spending much time behind a desk! It’s important for you to experience all parts of our business, so you’ll learn about different areas of operations management by being immersed in a garage or depot environment and working collaboratively with our drivers and team members. You’ll first learn to drive a bus, after all that’s what our business is all about.
The role is hands-on – we trust our employees so you’ll be given plenty of work to do, with real responsibility and not just shadowing others. You’ll be involved in a number of projects and be personally accountable for making sure they are completed. It’s also incredibly varied – you can expect shift-work, and you may be in the driving seat of a bus one day and coordinating a project the next. You’ll be making big decisions that will immediately impact the people travelling on our network each day. Your career is important to us; we see you as the next generation of Go-Ahead leaders, so we offer mentoring and support to ensure your development. Realistically, we expect you to become a senior manager, such as an operations manager, within five years.
Have you got what it takes to be part of a world where every journey is taken care of? If yes, please read the key requirements below and then apply today.
- Minimum of a 2:2 honours degree in any subject
- Full UK driving licence
- Flexibility to complete short placements in other Go-Ahead locations including international opportunities
- A passion for the transport and bus industry
- The unrestricted right to work in the UK
- A positive attitude and the ability to inspire confidence in and motivate others
- Resilience; our industry can be tough so we need future leaders who are up for the challenge
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills - clear, concise and engaging
- A customer focus, keen to deliver for Go-Ahead’s vast network of bus users
- The ability to work with team members at all levels and deal with members of the public
- Forward-thinking, innovative ideas to drive the business forward
- Resilience and the ability to work in a high-pressure environment
- Skills in problem-solving, analysis and dealing with complex data
- Time management, methodical thinking, and an ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
- A collaborative approach – keen to share knowledge and skills
- A commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
- Determination to succeed and develop yourself personally and professionally
- A full induction to the Group and hosting operating company
- Membership to the Young Bus Managers’ Network: www.youngbusmanagers.org.uk
- Real responsibility – you’ll be managing teams, dealing with operational challenges and making significant decisions
- Full support from mentors and specialists to develop your operations management and leadership skills
- Opportunities to develop and excel – we spend £22million per year on training, so make the most of what is on offer
- Career progression – a senior manager role within five years
- Free travel on many of Go-Ahead’s services
Number of roles available: 7
Start date: September 2019
Location: Newcastle/Gateshead, Oxford, Norwich, London, Poole/South Coast, Brighton & Hove and Dublin.
Salary: £25,000 per annum