Learning to Lead Graduate Programme
What is the Learning to Lead Graduate Programme?
Are you interested in driving business performance and delivering an essential service to 15 million customers?
Our “Learning to Lead” graduates get the chance to make a real impact on people’s lives on a daily basis. This is a two year pathway that includes learning all about the industry, on-the-job placements and lots of development. You’ll be our operational and technical site leaders of the future, so we’ll get you ready for this challenge with a mixture of technical and aspiring leaders training, and hands-on experience. You’ll get exposure to senior leaders, technical experts and teams on the shop floor. You could be based in a sewage or water treatment works, a contact centre, or our head office. You’ll have a degree graded at a 2:2 or above along with loads of energy, ideas and a determination to succeed.
You could start at one of our water or sewage treatment works, customer contact centres or offices in a variety of teams that deliver our operational, customer, corporate and regulatory activity. Your base will change dependent on your on-the-job role placements and career path as you progress. Therefore, we look for graduates who can be flexible and our operating area runs from East London, throughout the Thames Valley to Swindon, with our head office in Reading.
- Manage our water and wastewater networks, treatment, operational sites and front-line operational service delivery within a team
- Look after our sites, equipment, people and customers on a daily basis
- Drive a variety of projects and programmes to continuously develop what we do and drive efficiency and service
- Be based on one of our operational sites, and eventually be responsible for leading and developing our front line teams to deliver excellent customer service and operational performance
- Between the office and the field you’ll provide direct support, engagement and performance management both to the team as a whole and on a 1-to-1 basis
- You may be carrying out a project to increase efficiency, improve a process or implement a new initiative
- In our customer teams you’ll be based at one of our customer operations centres in Reading, Slough or Swindon, monitoring our customer incentive mechanisms
- You will work towards managing a team ensuring they are achieving excellent outcomes for our customers.
- You may also be delivering strategic projects to improve our customer service
- Alternatively, you may start in one of our business teams that are all about optimising value for our customers and our business
- You’ll be providing support, analysis and insight into a wide range of topics as we prepare our company business plans, prepare for the regulatory price review, and develop our longer term strategic direction.
- Effective engagement with our regulators, customers and business teams
- In each area you will have on-the-job role placements with responsibility that grows as you grow; working on projects and in teams that will drive the success of our business
- We will look at your strengths and qualifications throughout the whole recruitment process and place you into the area we think you will best succeed.
- Business and personal development modules
- Health and safety training
- A charity business challenge
- Time to Give volunteering days
- Mentoring and buddying opportunities
- You’ll have a degree graded at a 2:2 or above along with loads of energy, ideas and a determination to succeed
- We have a variety of placements in our Learning to Lead programme and find that those with a STEM degrees tend to be well suited to our business, however we do accept applications from all degrees disciplines
- Reach higher, be better
- Take care
- Passionate about everything we do
- Be respectful and value everyone
- Be proud, be blue
- We’re looking for real go-getters with a hunger for knowledge and a passion to succeed
- Our graduates enjoy influencing colleagues and sharing ideas and creativity
- They thrive on working with others, respecting their views and valuing the diversity around them
- They are humble and decent and treat others the way they’d like to be treated
- They also hold great passion for the industry we work in and our future aspirations.
- Our Learning to Lead graduates have careers as unique as they are and you’ll find them in a variety of roles across our business, including senior leadership roles
- Wherever you start in our business will give you a good grounding to develop and shape your career
- You will work towards leading our operational front line teams or managing project teams
- You may lead key projects or initiatives to improve our business too
- After successfully completing the Learning to Lead pathway our graduates have landed in roles leading frontline teams, as business analysts, programme managers, and more!