5 days left
- Part Time
Solent Students' Union are looking for a Student Trustee. The Trustees are ultimately responsible, individually and collectively, for all activity within Solent Students’ Union. The Board of Trustees is responsible for setting the vision and values of the organisation and for ensuring the delivery of organisational purpose. The Trustees ensure the development of, and agree a long-term strategy and approve and monitor plans to deliver the strategy.
- ensure that Solent Students’ Union acts in accordance with its charitable objects and governing documents;
- ensure that Solent Students’ Union remains true to its Mission, Vision and Values;
- help Solent Students’ Union achieve its objectives and benefits the members;
- ensure that Solent Students’ Union complies with all relevant legislation and regulations;
- ensure that Solent Students’ Union does not undertake activities that put its financial stability, members or reputation at undue risk;
- work with other Trustees, staff and volunteers in a constructive manner;
- participate fully in Board meetings;
- use their personal skills and experience to ensure Solent Students’ Union is well run and efficient;
- seek professional external advice where there may be a risk to the Union or where the Trustees may be in breach of their duties;
- add value to the Board and the Union through generating ideas, challenging the status quo, broadening thinking and supporting and promoting innovation and creativity.
- A current student of Southampton Solent University and registered on a course for the 2018 / 2019 academic year.
- A good understanding of the issues affecting students at Solent University.
- A good understanding of the issues affecting students in the UK and at Southampton Solent University.
- Awareness of current issues affecting Higher Education. (Desirable)
- An awareness of good charity governance and an awareness of the Nolan Principles. (Desirable)
- The ability to constructively question ideas.
- The ability to value and appreciate different perspectives and opinions.
- The ability to think strategically and make informed decisions.
- The ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels.
- An individual who is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion who actively seeks to remove barriers to equality.
- A role model who consistently demonstrates honesty and integrity.
- All out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed; this will include reimbursement of travel costs to all meetings, and other reasonable costs incurred whilst carrying out the duties of being a Solent Students’ Union Trustee.
Please note this opportunity is unpaid, and it is for students who undertake compulsory placements as part of their course. Solent University does not endorse unpaid opportunities outside of the curriculum. However, should you decide to take on this position you need to consider your financial situation and consider how you would support yourself for the duration of the experience. With overseas placements or internships it is worth noting that some companies may charge additional fees and should be thoroughly researched before committing. If you have any questions about this opportunity please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Solent University has a limited funding scheme to support students on unpaid work experience or placement opportunities:
Tip: Solent Futures, Solent University’s employability and enterprise service advises that you ensure your CV is the best it can be before you submit it. Look at our online guide or
email email@example.com for feedback. You might want to visit us in RM 001 11am – 4pm to get your CV checked and, if you are invited for interview, to arrange for a mock interview.