Test Software Engineer Graduate
You will gain exposure to numerous programming languages, software tools and software lifecycle methodologies, ensuring your time is an engaging, challenging and unique experience.
What will you be doing?
During the two years grad development programme you will develop the skills of a fully-rounded software engineer, achieved through a combination of formal technical training, career support and challenging work placements.
As a Graduate in the test systems team, you will be supporting a full range of test solutions, which are delivered for varied uses, including product development, production pass-out and in-service testing. You will also have the opportunity to be involved in the development of simulators and field support equipment.
You will work closely with other teams in a variety of development stages within our test systems on a range of platforms, such as Windows and Linux, utilising C, C++, Java and Python.
You will be given ownership for project deliverables, including the creation and maintenance of technical documentation.
You will also collaborate with other functions, make sound business decisions, understand the business and work closely with your team members. You will create a personal development plan, in close collaboration with your manager, to shape your career.
In addition, you will also have the opportunity to organise and support business level activities such as forums, talks and presentations, competitions and charity events.
- Exposure to all aspects of a software development lifecycle
- Formal and on-the-job training provided for learning new programming languages and software tools
- Fantastic opportunities to bring your technical knowledge to schools and inspire the next generation of engineers through the STEM programme (for example - building a functioning robot with a school team for a competition)
- Opportunities to travel – in particular, we work closely with our French and Italian colleagues
- Personal development events and experiences throughout the Early Careers Programme (ECP) scheme
What’s great about joining this team?
- The UK test systems team is a multi-disciplined, focused and dynamic agile team of about 100 engineers, specialising in all aspects of test solution design.
- The breadth of experience and support available in the department, which includes a buddy system to welcome you into MBDA, access to the mentoring scheme, and regular informal meetings with other ECP members in Software Engineering
- You will be working in an assistive and collaborative office environment and systems laboratories, aimed at aiding your learning and development
- We run an annual Software Challenge which offers the chance to collaborate with others in the team, to solve a demanding and engaging software problem
What would you get?
Two pay reviews per year whilst on the graduate scheme, joining bonus of £2,000, flexible working, paid overtime, a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes and superb learning and development opportunities.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)
- A proactive attitude and being comfortable taking the initiative
- A willingness to learn and apply newly gained knowledge quickly
- To be capable of working as part of a team and individually
- Being adaptable to changing requirements
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret level) UK security clearance.
- To have obtained or be expecting to obtain at least a 2:2 in a computer science or other science or engineering based degree, such as software engineering, electrical/electronic engineering, physics or maths by Sept 2018
Tip: Solent Futures, Solent University’s employability and enterprise service advises that you ensure your CV is the best it can be before you submit it. Look at our online guide or
email email@example.com for feedback. You might want to visit us in RM 001 11am – 4pm to get your CV checked and, if you are invited for interview, to arrange for a mock interview.