Re:So Store Associate - Work Based Learning Placement
We are currently looking for Work Based Learning Store Associates. Store Associates are responsible for the day to running of the store as well as some work at the pop up shop at the Showcase Gallery (James Matthews Building).
Re:So is a student supplied and student managed retail space in the centre of the city. Re:So was created in 2012 and is a part of Southampton Solent University.
Working with Re:So in the store, the pop up shop at Showcase Gallery and at local events such as Victorious Festival.
Opportunities can include setting up and working at events and is an opportunity to develop retail sales skills, commercial ideas, visual merchandising, buying, and organisational skills as part of a team.
- Opening and closing the store
- Setting up the till and closing down at the end of the day
- Serving customers and using the till and card payment machine
- Recording all sales
- Developing and maintaining store visual standards including housekeeping, product presentation and styling displays
- Talking to customers about how Re:So operates
- Taking responsibility for daily health and safety checks instore and in the upstairs teaching space
- Working with the Re:So Manager and Senior Lecturer to organise and work at events
- Working 50% of weekend shifts (Saturday and Sunday)
- Adaptable to different tasks and willing to learn
- Highly organised and reliable individual
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Interest in developing commercial awareness within a retail environment
- Good communicator
General Re:So Team Member Responsibilities:
- When working as a general Re:So team member the customers are the priority. It is crucial that all customers are greeted when they walk into the store, and assist them with their shopping experience, informing them about the unique nature of Re:So.
- Due to Re:So’s active nature with the university and the city of Southampton you may also be required to attend or assist with any events Re:So is involved in. Previously this has included Common People Festival, Dr Martens collaboration event and launch parties for students and new suppliers.
Ideas and input are welcome from all team members and make for part of the learning experience in the store. If you are looking to plan in your 2018-19 Work Based Learning placement, or simply want to gain some experience in a unique retail environment, we would love to hear from you.
Interview dates will be arranged periodically, allowing you to plan your placement into your academic year. Placements will start from July 2018.
Apply to Lesley Taylor, Senior Lecturer by clicking apply below.
Please note this opportunity is unpaid, and it is for students who undertake compulsory placements as part of their course. Solent University does not endorse unpaid opportunities outside of the curriculum. However, should you decide to take on this position you need to consider your financial situation and consider how you would support yourself for the duration of the experience. With overseas placements or internships it is worth noting that some companies may charge additional fees and should be thoroughly researched before committing. If you have any questions about this opportunity please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Solent University has a limited funding scheme to support students on unpaid work experience or placement opportunities: