6 days left
- Full Time
Are you well organised with a pro-active approach to your work? Enjoy working in a busy, fast paced environment with a great team of likeminded people ready to support and celebrate with one another? Then this might be the role for you.
As a Graphic Designer you will be responsible for helping develop and improve the graphic communication and materials for use for the 2019 Census Rehearsal and 2021 Census.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) runs the Census in England and Wales every 10 years and is a count of all people and households. Every effort is made to include everyone, and that is why the census is so important. It is the only survey which provides a detailed picture of the entire population, and is unique because it covers everyone at the same time and asks the same core questions everywhere. This makes it easy to compare different parts of the country.
The census is a crucial element in the design and planning of future public services; We’re currently preparing for the next rehearsal in 2019 and Census in 2021.
- This exciting opportunity is offered as a fixed term appointment until 2022 working within the Census Design Team as part of the wider Communications Division.
- You will develop materials for use in the Census programme, including the 2019 Census Rehearsal and the 2021 Census itself.
- We are looking for an experienced designer who is able to work with Adobe Creative Suite 6/Creative Cloud products, with the flexibility to work on either Apple Mac or PC platforms.
- You will design a wide range of information materials and resources for census, including the questionnaire, field staff materials, marketing materials, internal communications and stakeholder materials.
- Design work on other ONS materials will also be required.
- Experience working with teams to understand complex problems and provide innovative design and layout solutions that meet the business need is required.
- Interpret client’s needs to develop, present and evolve ideas and concepts through to final production
- Develop and design leaflets, posters, banners, identity passes and any other materials and products required
- Provide design advice and support for business areas across the programme
- Adhere to and advocate both ONS and (later) Census branding guidelines
- Work with external agencies to develop and quality assure materials
- Maintain a full audit of all designs through development to print/publishing
- Be up to date with developments and trends in design, design software and publishing
- Prioritise workload and negotiate with business areas as appropriate
- Support Communications colleagues across all communication functions and contribute innovative ideas for effective communication channels
- Liaise with other ONS Communications design colleagues to ensure consistency of design standards and principles
- Any other ad-hoc design work for internal/external use across ONS
- Experience of working with Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud, with considerable expertise in Indesign
- Flexibility to work on either Apple Mac or PC platforms
- Strong negotiation and communication skills
- Experience of applying brand standards to a variety of product types
- Experience working to tight deadlines in a sometimes-high pressure environment
- Experience and knowledge of working with MS Office packages
- We know that excellent results can only be achieved by investing in and retaining the people who work for us. This is why our people count in more ways than one.
- Apart from crunching the numbers that shape big decisions, we look after the interests of our staff. We invest in training and development to enhance skills and also offer a good work-life balance to improve well-being and staff retention.
- As well as a competitive salary, you'll enjoy:
- generous holiday allowance – 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 days after 5 years service in addition to 9 public holidays
- a good work-life balance – family-friendly working options including flexible working arrangements Monday to Friday between 7am and 7pm
- pre-school childcare vouchers and play schemes during Easter and summer at a lower rate
- career development and progression – a recognised silver-accredited Investor in People, we develop our people at every stage of their career, providing a personal progression plan, on- and off-site training courses and opportunities to gain qualifications and professional accreditations
- pension schemes – find out more on the Civil Service Pensions website
- welfare – our welfare service is provided through an Employee Assistance Programme, which offers help and support in dealing with work-related and personal problems
- a strong ethos of equality and diversity