Graduate Software Developer
ABB is a market leading provider of infrastructure and software solutions to the energy industry. ABB’s Energy Portfolio Management (EPM) team provides software solutions to help Utility customers carry out critical business functions like planning, simulation and forecasting, as well as commercial operations of their assets.
ABB’s wholesale market bidding, communications and (shadow-) settlement solution, nMarket Global, has been established for over 15 years as a market leading solution for participation in 8 US wholesale energy markets. In 2016, in collaboration with Microsoft, ABB introduced this solution in Europe to enable the market participation for the wholesale electricity market participants in Ireland (as part of the I-SEM market).
nMarket gained rapid acceptance among the leading Irish market participants in 2016 and partly at customers’ request ABB is now planning to expand the product into the GB market and subsequently into other European markets. The ABB solution is a SaaS solution on the Microsoft Azure platform and software stack and the ABB UK team in Woking (Surrey) have a team of cloud developers and architects who are working both on onward development of the existing solution (with specific current focus around the SaaS real-time dashboarding layer), as well as on the design and development of further add-on modules and functionality as part of the cloud roadmap.
To support this process, ABB is now looking for an Intern / Industrial Placement with Microsoft development experience and in particular exposure to designing and developing Azure-based cloud solutions.
The internship is a 2-year program that mixes continuous learning and career development activities with active assignments where knowledge is applied in real-life situations. As such, the program adds real value to the CV of the intern, who will end up with a set of achievements with demonstrable business value.
- Focus on training on the ABB EPM solutions in the area of cloud-based dashboarding and reporting
- Undertaking software development
- Researching new features that need to be added to our dashboarding solution
- Supporting the development team in implementing these
- Getting up-to-speed with the Energy domain and with ABB’s solutions in this area
- Supporting the design, prototyping and development of Microsoft Azure based cloud solutions
- BSc or MSc in Computer Science or Information Technology
- Software Development experience (may be as part of a degree course in Computer Science or Information Technology)
- C# development experience on Windows platforms
- Exposure to Microsoft Azure cloud
- Some experience in designing and developing software on the Microsoft stack
- Real passion for IT
- Curiosity in technology and software
- Love for experimentation and hands-on coding
- Motivated self-starter
- Used to being self-managed
- Good communication skills
- Good presentation skills
- Proactive, results-oriented working style
- Well organised
- Communicate clearly and convincingly
- Ability to create convincing presentations
- Ability to describe complex topics in an easy to understand manner
- Passion for learning
- Experience with cloud-based development is desirable
- Database experience (MS SQL server and/or Oracle) is desirable
- Java skills is desirable