Summer School Facilitator in Italy
Action It Theatre Company specialises in delivering summer schools to children in Italy, teaching English through Art, Drama and Sport. Each summer school lasts for one week with a view to producing a final show at the end of the week (in English!) for parents and friends to watch. We require English, Art, Drama and Sport teachers to come and work for us in our summer schools to make this possible.
- The aim of each week is to work with the children to put on a show (which has usually been decided beforehand) in English at the end of the week which parents, friends and family members can watch.
- Teachers need to be available from the 10thJune. We will have various contracts between 1 and 4 weeks. Each week, teachers will work in a school in either the Tuscany or Emilia Romagna regions of Italy. Work can be very tiring and hot so we need teachers who can deliver high quality lessons despite this!
- For the right candidate, this is an extremely rewarding and fun role!
- English Teachers: will be responsible for supporting the development of the performance script - encouraging creative writing and exploring language, themes, plot etc. They will also be responsible for leading a creative English lesson with Italian students of primary and secondary age and guiding them through their activity workbook - as well as playing English language games. Teachers will be given a basic script for each school with backing tracks. Teachers will be able to adapt the script with the pupils depending on their ability. The script they help create will be used by the Drama teacher in their session and will culminate in a final performance to friends and family on the final day.
- Sport Teachers: The sports sessions are to help the students work as a team, which is very important to ensure that the final show runs smoothly! Children might not be with their friends in their class groups so sport helps to break down barriers and build friendships. Sport also increase fitness levels and enhances co-ordination. Sports coaches will be responsible for teaching sporting terminology and rules of play in English for sports such as; football, badminton, cricket, rounders, volleyball, basketball and relay games.
- Art Teachers: will be responsible for creating props, costumes and scenery with the pupils and for teaching them the words for the equipment, shapes, textures, methods etc that you may use during the process. Again, teamwork is key here as it can get quite messy!
- Drama Teachers: will be required to create and direct a show with the pupils in 5 days. Normally a story is chosen prior to starting so that teachers can prepare before they go. They will use drama games to stimulate creativity and enhance confidence. All shows will include singing and movement which they will also lead. Teachers will be given a basic script for each school with backing tracks. Teachers will be able to adapt the script with the pupils depending on their ability.
- Other duties may include but are not limited to leading whole group games and activities at the start/end of the day, registering pupils in and out of the school, keeping an eye on students during break times and administering first aid when needed.
- All staff will have a copy of emergency contact details for the children and any medical information necessary in the event of an emergency.
- Students of the summer school are not allowed off site during the course of the day.
- Teachers may also be expected to liaise with school teachers or parents of the students if the need arises.
Teachers will stay with host families for the duration of their time in Italy. They will provide 3 meals a day and all travel to and from the school where you will be teaching.
With overseas placements or internships it is worth noting that some companies may charge additional fees and should be thoroughly researched before committing. If you have any questions about this opportunity please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Solent University has a limited funding scheme to support students on unpaid work experience or placement opportunities: