- Full Time
As Corporate Counsel at Google, you work on the most exciting legal issues as disruptive technological innovations require creative and proactive legal guidance. You're part of a whip-smart group of in-house lawyers and the projects and cases you take on challenge you to think big and differently. You are collaborative -- ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of the business and work with Googlers from all over the company.
As an integrated part of the team, you proactively assess legal risks and advise on products that will not only move information into the 21st century, but move information law forward as well.
As Copyright Counsel, you will work on an array of projects from high-level strategy setting to rapid response on issues relating to litigation, Google’s products, partnership outreach, and public messaging. At the heart of the role is cross-functional coordination with colleagues not only in the Legal department, but also on the Public Policy, Corporate Communications, and Product teams.
You will draw on your expertise in copyright law, as well as sound judgment and fluency in current business and technology issues in the Internet space. Travel between EMEA capitals will be essential for building partnerships with commercial and public policy stakeholders.
20th century laws don't always solve 21st century problems, and Google Legal crafts innovative approaches for handling some of the toughest legal challenges of the information age. Whether you're a patent attorney, an intellectual property expert or an engineer headed to law school, Google Legal lets you take on unanswered legal quandaries and create new precedents.
Our innovative services raise challenging questions that demand creative and practical answers. We provide those answers by working at the crossroads of the law and new technology, helping Google build innovative and important products for users around the world.
- Establish and implement global strategy with a small team on copyright issues
- Shape public positions and framing messages and materials for use in advocacy on copyright issues
- Collaborate with in-house litigation team and outside lawyers on Google’s own litigation, both in setting strategy and in close attention to arguments raised in briefing
- Monitoring copyright developments in litigation involving other companies
- Engage with legal, public policy, and product engineering colleagues in advising Google on copyright issues and choices in its product development
- Develop and implement antipiracy strategies to address emerging challenges online
- Interfacing with rightsholder partners to identify opportunities for improved collaboration
- BA/BS degree in Law or equivalent practical experience.
- European qualified lawyer, facility with copyright laws of one civil and one common law jurisdiction
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically
- Postgraduate degree (LL.M or equivalent) preferred
- Familiarity with internet technologies and the surrounding policy environments is preferred
- Ability to manage several simultaneous projects from inception to completion in a fast-paced environment
- Effective organisational skills
- Strong attention to detail skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to speak an additional European language fluently and idiomatically is preferred
- Ability to travel as required