4 days left
- Full Time
Royal Museums Greenwich is an epic place of exploration. In the heart of Maritime Greenwich, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, RMG is home to the National Maritime Museum, Royal Observatory Greenwich, Cutty Sark and the Queen’s House. Our mission is to enrich people’s understanding of the sea, the exploration of space and Britain’s role in world history.
This is a great opportunity for someone with an interest in Exhibition Graphic design to work at a national museum which aspires to very high standards. The role works as part of a multi-disciplinary team including: 3D Design, Digital Graphic design and Digital Development.
The Museum has recently updated its visual identity and is in the process of developing design guidelines for exhibitions that build on the brand identity. The overall aim is to develop new standards in communication and accessibility for all of RMG’s sites.
- The primary responsibility of the Graphic Designer is to work on the origination and maintenance of interpretative graphics for galleries, exhibitions and displays. Secondarily, they may be required to work on other graphic design requirements of the Museum’s sites, such as: commenting on and origination of marketing print collateral, educational handouts and signage.
- They will play a vital role in helping to ensure the Museum’s diverse audience are rewarded with enriching, informative and clear information that is in keeping with RMG’s wider visitor engagement aims.
- The Digital Graphic Designer will take projects of all sizes through their full cycle from briefing, concept, developed design, technical design, production, installation and maintenance.
- Maintaining and updating existing exhibition graphic displays.
- Brand rollout, including: large print guides, signage, interpretative graphics.
- Design and specification high quality interpretative graphics (typography, illustrations, photo manipulation, info-graphics, iconography).
- Creating inspirational design concepts individually and as part of a team.
- Collaborating with the 3D Designers and Digital Graphic Designer.
- Meeting deadlines while handling multiple small projects.
- Champion visitor engagement through design.
- Research the industry sector to ensure that RMG’s design offer is in keeping with and up-to-date with evolving audience expectations.
- Ensure the visitor experience reflects the needs and interests of our audiences.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of RMG’s Design Guidelines. Support a coordinated approach to design across RMG.
- Support a coordinated approach to accessible design that is compliant with legislation and good practice.
- Collaborate and report effectively across teams.
- Contribute to and support the development of content through design.
- Present design proposals at key meetings.
- Produce presentations to communicate designs to stakeholders at key project stages including drawings and visuals.
- Produce written and illustrated reports to explain design issues.
- Produce detailed specifications and schedules for tender and production.
- Maintain project records and archiving.
- Net working hours (i.e. excluding 1 hour per day in rest breaks) will be 36 hours per week, core hours Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm with an additional hour to be worked in agreement with line management, although flexibility and overtime may from time to time be required.
- A recognized qualification in graphic design or a similar design discipline.
- Solid portfolio that demonstrates completed work and projects.
- Excellent working knowledge of Adobe CC (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere, After Effects).
- An excellent understanding of typography.
- Ability to creatively interpret briefs.
- Friendly personality and good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work both under supervision and autonomously, as and when required
- The ability to work creatively on multiple projects concurrently.
- Software: Proficient in the use of MS Office, Illustrator, Indesign, Photoshop
- Ability to see a project through from initial design concept through to final completion.
- A demonstrable understanding of graphics for exhibitions or similar physical spaces.
- A genuine interest in working in the cultural sector creating learning environments
- A good understanding of access and legibility standards.
- Awareness of sustainable design approaches.
- Proficient in the creation of artwork, technical specifications and working with printers.
- Experience working within a design studio environment.
- Knowledge of 3D design software, Vectorworks, Sketch-up
- A genuine interest in working in the cultural sector creating learning environments (Desirable)
- A good understanding of access and legibility standards. (Desirable)
- Awareness of sustainable design approaches. (Desirable)
- Proficient in the creation of artwork, technical specifications and working with printers. (Desirable)
- Experience working within a design studio environment. (Desirable)
- Knowledge of 3D design software, Vectorworks, Sketch-up (Desirable)