Sexual Health and Wellbeing Worker
A position has become available in our Early Help team as a Sexual Health and Wellbeing Worker working in partnership with Solent NHS Trust.
You will be based at No Limits in Southampton but work across the county delivering educational sessions within schools and colleges through GTBT and Peer Education. We are looking for a candidate with the ability to engage with a range of students on a 1 to 1 and group basis whilst working with other professionals and agencies across Southampton, Portsmouth and Hampshire. The use of a car is an essential requirement for this role.
- Offer information and advice on a range of healthy behaviours such as sexual health behaviours and relationships, emotional health, self-esteem, Smoking cessation, healthy eating, substance misuse, wellbeing, school attendance issues, and other lifestyle related matters.
- To deliver targeted Girl Talk Boy Talk sessions to identified education settings across Southampton, Portsmouth and Hampshire.
- Provide quality up to date information, advice and support which supports children and young people’s emotional health, personal and social development and promotes healthy lifestyles in schools and colleges across Southampton, Portsmouth and Hampshire.
- To act as an advocate and refer children and young people as appropriate to specialist local services and statutory agencies to ensure their needs are appropriately met.
- To facilitate the delivery of RSE Peer Education sessions to college students and offer ongoing support with their own promotional campaigns / awareness events.
- To promote the involvement of young people in planning, delivery and evaluation of services.
- Offer information and advice and support to young people in a variety of settings/environments as required to meet the aims of the service. Gain supervision and advice from qualified persons regarding workload on a regular basis.
- To represent the service at meetings and at school/ college and community events when required.
- To work with the team, in developing services.
- To keep up to date on issues that affect children and young people e.g. changes in government policy and local practice.
- To assist the Service Manager and Project Manager in the on-going training, support and supervision, of students and volunteers.
- Experience of working with children and young people in a variety of settings.
- Experience of working in an education setting.
- Experience of Case holding clients & maintaining individual client files
- A mental health, Youth work, Social work, Health or equivalent qualification at level 3, or willingness to undertake training to level 3.
- To keep up to date on the major issues that affect families and young people including health, family and relationships, housing and homelessness, money and benefits.
- Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to the safeguarding of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
- Professional and technical development: Develops technical and/or professional ability and keeps abreast of development in own areas of expertise including specialist knowledge and organisational awareness.
- Relevant experience and qualifications to do the job
- Demonstrate the ability to work with difficult/complex situations.
- Experience of working with people with complex needs and challenging behaviour.
- Experience of offering opportunities to children and young people that are both participative and educational in nature.
- Able to build trusting relationships with service users, enabling them to develop new skills and make their own informed choices.
- Able to demonstrate an understanding for the need for rights based information and advice to be made accessible to young people.