Language Exchange Program
Language Exchange Program: Learn Mandarin and Teach English in China
Aston offers a special language exchange program to learn Mandarin and teach English.
- Teach 10 hours of English lessons per week in our school (English lessons range from 20 to 120 minutes in length)
- Receive 10 hours of Mandarin lessons
- Occasionally be offered paid overtime teaching
- Flexible teaching hours, with the total being counted at the end of the month. Any hours in excess will be paid then.
- Currently enrolled university students and graduates
- People who are interested in Chinese language and culture
- Native English speakers are not preferred, but a high standard of English is required
- Teaching experience an asset, but not essential (training and teaching materials provided)
- Easy going personality
- Patient with young children
- Free Accommodation. A private single room and a living/dining room, bathroom and toilet shared with other participants
- Internet, gas, electricity and water are provided (the use of air-conditioner over 400kW/H units per term and telephone charges must be paid for by the participant)
- Free lunch from Tuesday to Sunday during term time
- Airport pick-up at either Nanjing or Shanghai airport
- A stipend of 1200RMB per month
- Free two-day trip to Jiuhua Mountain
- Ten hours of free Chinese lessons a week
- Help with booking train tickets and hotels
The Language Exchange Project is open to anyone who is interested in Chinese language and culture. It is perfect for current undergraduates and recent high-school graduates but we also welcome participants who are older and have life and professional experience. Participants not only gain teaching experience with us, but have a unique opportunity to study Chinese in very small classes.
Arrive in Shanghai or Nanjing, one of our staff picks you up at the airport.
Tour of downtown Wuhu
Observe experienced teachers' lessons
Basic Chinese lessons (how to order food, how to ask where things are, etc.)
Dinner out with all the new LE participants, teachers and Aston staff.
Social events, such as movies, outings, etc.
Begin Chinese classes
Summer 2018 (Exact Dates to be Decided)
Airport pick-up 27 or 28 June
Training and orientation 29 June to 6 July
First day of term 14 July
Last day of term 28 August
Autumn Term 2018 (Exact Dates to be Decided)
Airport pick-up 1 or 2 September
Training and orientation 3-15 September
First day of term 15 September
Last day of term 13 January 2019
To apply for our Language Exchange Program please send a CV or application form and a cover letter, degree certificate (student ID or unofficial transcript is required, if the participant is a university current student) via e-mai.
Russell Forrest, Program Director
Aston Language Centre
Cost of Participation:
1. Return flight/Round Trip
London or another UK city to Shanghai, cost around £500 (GBP)
Sydney to Shanghai, cost around $900 (AUD)
New York to Shanghai, cost around $675 (US)
Los Angeles to Shanghai, cost around $720 (US)
2. Single entry VISA
£60 (GBP) for British nationals
40 Euro for Irish nationals
$140 (USD) for US nationals
$60 (AUD) for Australian nationals
3. Overseas Travel Insurance (optional, but recommended)
With overseas placements or internships it is worth noting that some companies may charge additional fees and should be thoroughly researched before committing. If you have any questions about this opportunity please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Southampton Solent University has a limited funding scheme to support students on unpaid work experience or placement opportunities@ https://portal.solent.ac.uk/support/finance/student-funding/unpaid-placement-work-experience-grant.aspx