Junior Software Developer
We are offering a role where you can learn new skills and be part of a team delivering scientific software.
- This is a junior developer position where you'll be responsible for the development and maintenance of our web application, BioRails.
- This will include maintenance of the central database, and ensuring good responsiveness. You will also be responsible for development work on both the front-end and back-end of the application.
- We're looking for someone who loves programming and is excited to learn new skills and techniques.
- This is a chance to be part of an experienced team who can help you build your career in software development.
- This position is based in our head quarters in Guildford UK and the applicant should expect to work in the office rather than remotely.
- Must currently have the right to live and work in the UK
- Experience with Ruby on Rails (desirable)
- Proficient understanding of source code version control e.g. Subversion, Git (desirable)
- Experience with test-driven development (desirable)
- A working knowledge of SQL. (desirable)
- Familiarity with development tools (e.g. rake, bundler, RubyMine) (desirable)
- Familiarity with continuous integration (desirable)
- Familiarity with Linux (desirable)
- Familiarity with Oracle (desirable)
- Bachelors degree (or above) - in computer science or a closely related field e.g. Computational Biology.
- Good working knowledge of object-oriented programming principles in one or more languages.
- Ability to deliver stable software from well documented requirements efficiently and as part of a team.
- Ability to write clear documentation for designs and contribute to discussions on software design.
- Enjoy working on complex and challenging problems.
- Accepted degree subjects: biology and life sciences · chemistry · computer sciences and IT