Graduate Transport Modeller
Vectos Microsim is a brand new thriving consultancy recently set up in the centre of Birmingham by two experienced transport modellers and with the backing of Vectos, a leading and innovative provided of transport planning and infrastructure design services.
Vectos Microsim’s goal is to offer specialist Transport Micro-simulation support across the transport planning sectors and provide a high quality modelling service which is in huge demand. Our aim is to provide our clients with a top class service, tailored to their needs and at exceptional value. Our ambition is to grow rapidly and continue to build on our reputation for quality, value and success.
Our team is currently made up of six very experienced modellers, supported by four graduates. We are a young and ambitious company and believe that Vectos Microsim will grow to become the leader in its field.
We only recruit the very best to ensure we maintain the standards our clients have become accustomed to, and for this reason we ensure they are staff are rewarded generously. We understand the most suitable candidates do not necessarily have to have a degree in a specific field or have followed a certain route to get to this point. We are looking for people with the right mind set, a certain work ethic, an enthusiasm to learn, an ambition to grow, be the best at what they do and be an integral part of the team.
The role is for a Graduate Transport Modeller but the specific tasks are likely to be influenced and adapted to suit the selected candidate(s).
The general tasks will be centred around supporting the senior team on large projects that require significant input on the following:
- Micro-simulation modelling using VISSIM and Paramics software packages. You would be provided with training from our experienced team which would be unmatched anywhere else. The aim would be to bring the graduate up to a standards well above the industry’s average in a very short space of time.
- Data manipulation and presentation of model inputs and outputs using complex spreadsheets. Adding value to the presentations and processes as your understanding of the objectives becomes clear.
- Using GIS software to present model outputs in an interesting and highly professional looking format. The candidate(s) would be given freedom to explore and develop new and innovative ways of delivering the required outputs.
- Produce reports and technical notes to a high standard ensuring the appropriate message is conveyed and in a manner tailored to the specific client and the project objectives.
- Dealing with clients and attending meetings with senior staff to agree methodologies, discuss project specific issues and present results.
- Exceptional report writing skills
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- A basic understanding of VBA programming (beneficial)
- Experience with GIS software (beneficial)
- Analytical, numerate, enjoys problem solving, and has an eye for detail
- Willingness to learn and has a keen interest in entering the world of transport modelling
- Confident, hardworking and ambitious
- Any experience with transport modelling software would be very beneficial but is not a prerequisite
- We are looking for candidate(s) who are graduating in the 2017/18 academic year for a summer/autumn 2018 start date.
- Please state on your covering letter your likely availability for a start date.