Marketing and Communications Intern
St Luke’s is the local hospice for Harrow and Brent. We care for people whose illnesses are no longer curable, enabling them to achieve the best possible quality of life during the final stages of their illness. We care for patients through our in-patient unit, out-patient clinics, and day care unit, as well as in their own homes through our community and home care teams. Coming to terms with a serious illness can be difficult and distressing. Everyone in the family, including friends can be affected, so our hospice and our staff and volunteers provide a warm, friendly and supportive environment in which everyone feels welcome.
We are proud to offer all of our services free of charge. We rely on fundraising for 70% of our income and our work can only continue with the support of the people, companies and organisations that give their time and money to fundraise on our behalf.
To support the Organisational Communications Lead with a range of communications and media projects for the whole hospice.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone with an interest in developing communications in the charity sector.
- Writing and uploading content for St Luke’s website and Intranet
- Day to day management of hospice social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and You Tube)
- Assisting with the production of various newsletters (print and digital)
- Writing press releases and other content for community newsletters and websites
- Interviewing supporters, patients and their families for case studies
- Filming and editing short films (training will be provided)
- Assisting with communications for our 19 retail shops
- Assisting with communications for the clinical teams
- Assisting with social media at fundraising, corporate and community events
- Assisting with campaigns and appeals
- General administrative support for the Communications Team
- We are looking from someone with the following qualities and skills
- Good written and verbal skills
- Effective team member able to interact with a diverse team of staff and volunteers
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Competent user of Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome
- Confident phone manner
- Confidently use Publisher (or similar programmes) to design publications and posters (Desirable)
- Filming and editing short films (Desirable)
- Experience of working with social media, websites and video (Desirable)
- Willing to work some evenings and weekends (Desirable)
- Working or volunteering for a charity or community organisation (Desirable)
- Event management (Desirable)
- Experience of being part of a busy communications team with the opportunity for induction sessions giving an overview of all areas of the hospice
- Experience of event social media management and supporter journeys
- Opportunity to be part of communication projects working with different teams across the hospice
- At the end of the placement the intern will have sound practical experience of generating copy, images and video for a variety of print and digital media channels and audiences, day to day website administration, communicating a broad range of messages, and of working as part of a multidisciplinary project team.
All placements have a 3 month probationary period and subject to DBS checks. The Intern will be given 26 days holiday (per annum), access to the Employee Assistance Programme, access to on site parking and subsidised lunch options.
Interested? Then apply through the Placement Office in the normal way.
All 2nd round interviews will be held at St Luke’s Hospice in Harrow.