We are seeking to appoint an ambitious and highly motivated Applications Engineering intern for a 12 month paid internship, starting in the summer of 2017.
At SPI Lasers our products are used to make a very broad range of products such as: mobile phones, tablet computers, medical devices, automotive parts and solar cells; we develop applications solutions for some of the biggest brands for manufacture across the globe.
During your internship, you will be working in a small and supportive team in a dynamic and fast paced international environment. Our ethos has always been to empower all our employees at all levels and support them in their unique and professional development.
Our internships are a great opportunity for individuals looking for a placement year, or for those coming to the end of a degree in Engineering looking to gain industry experience.
- Operation of laser processing workstations (under broad supervision); these feature PC controlled lasers and galvo scanners.
- Understanding how the laser beam interacts with the target work-piece, including an understanding of the following:
- Gaussian beam focussing
- Rapid heating of the material by the laser beam.
- Processing of customer cases, comprising of:
- Structured experimental trials to optimize laser performance
- Analysis of results (mainly microscope inspection and “mounting, polishing and etching” certain samples)
- Writing clear, concise logbook records
- Production of report for customer.
- Preference for an undergraduate studying towards a degree in Engineering, with a particular focus in either, Physics, Opto-electronics, electronics or mechanical engineering.
- A genuine interest in Applications engineering.
- Excellent organisation skills, with the potential to take on project based assignments.
- The ability to work independently.
- An effective communicator, orally and written.
- The ability to work well with others.