Mechanical Engineering Placement
The Company Gill Research & Development develops world class technologies and products for the Gill group of companies and leading global customers. We specialise in developing non-contact position and machine condition sensors, liquid level and ultrasonic flow sensors. We are seeking highly motivated and outstanding undergraduate mechanical engineers to support our development team. We combine creative thinking with excellent technical skills to form powerful development teams. Our work ranges from technical research, consulting services, product prototyping and complete product developments, often incorporating considerable challenges. You will support innovative sensor and instrumentation products by applying your mechanical engineering abilities and in the process enhance your commercial awareness and engineering know how.
- Draw on your experience to deliver creative solutions, ensuring product designs meet the required standards of quality, reliability, cost and design for manufacture.
- Conduct extensive testing activities to prove compliance to environmental and performance requirements, documenting outcomes.
- Solve difficult engineering problems by drawing on a range of resources to deliver technical solutions.
- Participate in meetings and design reviews with team members and customers, communicating ideas and engineering concepts to all disciplines.
- Arranging prototyping activities.
- Studying for a degree qualification in mechanical engineering or related subject as part of a thick sandwich course (3rd year in industry).
- Demonstrate an interest in the electronics packaging of sensors or instrumentation.
- Some experience in aspects such as analysis and optimisation, thermal systems, materials selection, design for manufacture & assembly & prototyping methods
- Basic 3D CAD skills required; Solidworks preferred.
- Demonstrate delivering technical solutions on time and to specification (through example projects).
- Highly motivated with a very strong personal drive and enthusiasm to overcome engineering challenges and a keen interest in engineering.
- Eligibility to work in the UK.