Undergraduate Software Developer and Support Analyst
1 day left
- Full Time
Listed in the Sunday Times Top 100 Best Companies 2017 Award, Gamma is one of the largest telecommunications companies in the UK. We sell a broad suite of products, generally consisting of voice, mobile and data services, utilising our underground telecoms network, to our customers to Reseller on to their end customers, normally UK-based businesses. In over ten years we have grown to over 800 staff with offices situated in Newbury, Portsmouth, London, Manchester, Glasgow and Eastern Europe.
Although a growing company Gamma maintains the culture that allows employees to develop and avoid being pigeon holed in to roles. What makes Gamma successful is the people that work for it.
We also take our responsibility to the wider community seriously by making charitable donations to worthy causes and being one of the only telecom companies to reduce its carbon footprint across the whole business to net zero.
- Who are you? You are a smart and talented individual who knows how to work hard whilst still maintaining a fun and friendly attitude.
- You enjoy working within a team where there is a culture of learning and mutual respect. An environment where you can bring new ideas to the table and have them heard.
- You are a good communicator and enjoy speaking to people at all levels. Be that via email, on the phone or simply by an informal chat.
- You are working hard at university and are proud of the excellent grades you have achieved so far. Now you want to put your academic skills into practice in a real world context. You want to make a direct contribution to the team and be part of a leading UK telecoms company.
- You will be doing a computer science or a science based degree such as physics or mathematics.
- Alternatively you may be doing a joint honours degree with a business or financial element but not quite sure whether to head down the Finance or IT route.
- This role combines the technical skills with the business acumen and problem solving in order to resolve real live issues and to keep critical systems running in a challenging but exciting environment.
- We want your enthusiasm so you can learn and build upon your technical skills. Here at Gamma we use Microsoft SQL databases with Java and C# front ends. We also use scripting languages such as Ruby and PHP, but now moving to PowerShell.
- If you already have experience in any of these, then great, however what we are looking for is to see is whether you have the determination and confidence to learn them.
- Problem solving, taking ownership of tasks and grasping the bigger picture.
- Technical programming experience would be advantageous. In Gamma we use Microsoft SQL databases with Java and C# front ends. We also use a variety of scripting languages such PowerShell. Experience in any of these would be an advantage, but not essential. The key is for the candidate to show they have the ability and drive to learn on their own initiative within a supported framework.
- Excel and other Office based programmes
- Strong A level results
- After your placement you should have become confident in:
- Microsoft T-SQL – we will be encouraging students to study for Microsoft exams in this area
- Microsoft Reporting Services
- Java / C# and/or PowerShell experience
- Telecommunications experience
- Time management and working in a pressured but rewarding support environment
- Improved soft skills such as problem solving and communication
- 25 days holiday per annum (pro-rata)
- The placement would last 12 month, although we encourage a slightly longer placement of around 14 months to allow the candidate to get the most out of the placement.