Volunteer Business Support Associate
Challenges Worldwide is a pioneering social enterprise placing ICS (International Citizen Service) volunteers to work as Business Support Associate for a 10-12 week placement with an African business.
The Challenges Worldwide ICS Programme offers young people the opportunity to play a key role in delivering sustainable private sector development projects. Our volunteers deliver support to growing enterprises in Ghana, Uganda and Rwanda.
We do not pay our volunteers, however, the programme is fully funded by the UK government through the ICS programme, so you don't need cash or qualifications to take part. This includes the costs of flights, visas, food and accommodation and medical costs.
- Work together with a local volunteer to have a direct positive impact on small to medium sized enterprises as they seek to access trade and finance deals
- These experiences will develop your professional skills, enhance your employability and help you recognise the vital role of economic development in reducing poverty across the world
- To show commitment to taking part, our volunteers are required to fundraise to secure their placement - the proceeds of the fundraising are used to ensure the sustainability of the ICS programme
- You will receive full support from an ICS fundraising support officer to help you meet your target!
- You do not need previous business experience to take part as during the programme you will receive weekly training in Professional Consulting
- Be engaged, proactive, and open-minded
- Willing to work hard and learn with the African business that you will be placed
- Be healthy to be able to carry out your role
- Must be aged 18-25 when your placement starts
- Must be an EU Citizen that has resided in the UK for at least 12 months
- Training is accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
- After the programme volunteers will be invited to complete an assessment and gain their Level 5 qualification in Professional Consulting at an exclusive discounted rate for Challenges Worldwide ICS volunteers
- Cross-cultural work experience
Please note this opportunity is unpaid and it is for students who undertake compulsory placements as part of their course. Southampton Solent University does not endorse unpaid opportunities outside of the curriculum. However, should you decide to take on this position you need to consider your financial situation and consider how you would support yourself for the duration of the experience. With overseas placements or internships it is worth noting that some companies may charge additional fees and should be thoroughly researched before committing. If you have any questions about this opportunity please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Southampton Solent University has a limited funding scheme to support students on unpaid work experience or placement opportunities@ https://portal.solent.ac.uk/support/finance/student-funding/unpaid-placement-work-experience-grant.aspx