Creative Merchandising - 12 month placement
Are you a current undergraduate or recent graduate hoping to enter a career in creative merchandising? Would you like to work for a leading global media organisation? If so, we’d love to hear from you. We are currently recruiting a Creative Merchandising Intern to join our Entry Careers Programme in London from July 2018.
In Europe, Middle East and Africa, Turner currently broadcasts 69 channels in 20 languages to 125 countries. It is headquartered in London and operates local offices across the region. The brand portfolio includes EMEA’s number one international news brand CNN International as well as Turner’s leading kids brands, Cartoon Network – home of global hit animation series such as The Amazing World of Gumball and Boomerang, featuring timeless classics such as Scooby-Doo, Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes.
This 12-month internship is part of our Entry Careers Programme, running from July 2018 to July 2019. These internships are for recent graduates or current undergraduates with a placement year in their degree, and will give the successful candidates invaluable ‘on the job’ experience in their chosen field. All our interns will start and finish their placements together, so this is your chance to learn and develop new skills alongside other young professionals. As well as networking opportunities and in-depth exposure to a leading media and entertainment company, we will also provide you with training and resources for your development, to ensure that you are ‘business ready’ by the end of your internship.
The Creative Merchandising intern will assist the Senior Product Development Manager in designing, leading trend reviews and working on creative projects supporting the Turner License and Merchandise team. You will gain experience in product design, development of graphic assets and design tools for use across all categories in our Consumer Products team (fashion, home, toys, stationery, FMCG and publishing).
- Working with the Senior Manager to develop innovative graphic packs illustrating the relevance and fashionability of our brands, based on Cartoon Network’s franchises, style guides and creative guidelines.
- Helping to develop designs pitches on all softline categories for specific licensees and DTRs.
- Helping to create, developing and finalising production ready designs for our major DTRs.
- Providing ad-hoc design support to Product Design and Category teams through designs, presentations, tech specs and any other creative related material.
- Supporting the Product Design team by conducting regular and extensive trend analysis on relevant product categories (mostly apparel, footwear and accessories).
- Constantly watching and monitoring product innovations to fuel the design process and creativity and propose new product and design ideas in line with Turner’s strategies.
- Working closely with the Product development team and regional Creative team on creative topics and franchise related questions.
- Sharing design ideas, pitches and inspiration
- Completed or studying towards a degree in fashion, product or graphic design
- Strong design portfolio
- An interest in how buyers plan ranges and the commercial applications of great product development and graphic design
- Ability to translate new concepts into marketable, saleable products
- Fresh and inventive thinker.
- Flexible skill-set (ability to work on all our product categories)
- Good level of trend awareness.
- Understands and applies colour theory and usage
- Fluent working knowledge in Illustrator & Photoshop and creative suite packages
- Good understanding of all elements of design: illustration, pattern, page layout, colour, product design, trends.
- Curiosity and willingness to learn
- Organised & Self-autonomous
- Ability to deliver against deadlines & to manage multiple projects simultaneously in various stages
- Excellent command of English (written & verbal)
- Ability to work within an environment demanding both bureaucratic & flexible (entrepreneurial) approaches
- Strong communication & relationship building skills
- Ability to multi-task within a small, fast paced & dynamic group.
- Confidence in a second language would be a plus (Desirable)
- A salary of £19,800
- As an employee at Turner, you’ll be entitled to 23 days annual leave
- You’ll have the opportunity to participate in company-wide charity events such as volunteering days
- Insight into the day-to-day work of a global media company, and the chance to learn valuable skills for your next career move
- A broad range of exciting tasks, with support and guidance from your team
- ‘Business ready’ training for the entire 2018 intern cohort
- You can also make the most of Turner’s range of benefits, including medical and dental care, and various discounts at local gyms and restaurants