KTP Associate - Product Design Engineer
Are you enthusiastic about designing innovative new products for the exciting watersport sector of Stand Up Paddle Boarding?
We are seeking a talented and creative Product Designer or Design Engineer to work on a joint project under Knowledge Transfer Partnership, between Red Paddle Co and the University of Plymouth. The key objective of this role is to identify areas of disruptive innovation to create an advanced next generation inflatable paddleboard using enhanced materials, manufacture and design techniques.
Based near Totnes in Devon, Red Paddle Co are innovators in the field of stand up paddleboards (SUP) and were the first company to challenge the accepted practice of rigid paddle boards, by designing and introducing an inflatable alternative. Over the years, through a number of design and material iterations, Red Paddle Co now produces a SUP with most of the characteristics of a rigid board but with far greater portability. Red Paddle Co operates at the premium end of the inflatable market and currently employs 24 people. This KTP will enable Red Paddle Co to undertake further innovation to differentiate their products and create a compelling customer proposition.
- You will be recently qualified with a good first degree with a minimum 2.1 (Hons) in a relevant subject such as Product Design, Engineering Design or a similar design focused degree.
- The candidate will be able to conduct analysis, simulation, testing and have materials knowledge, (composites & plastics preferred).
- Evidence of familiarity with materials and component testing and analytical techniques is essential along with the ability to develop a design into a working prototype.
- A good appreciation of general design principles and methodologies as well as utilising 3D CAD design tools and associated analysis methods is also important.
- The ability to use Solid body & surface modelling techniques is essential.
- Some evidence of industrial experience is desirable and a brief example of a design project you have conducted should be submitted.
- Your personal qualities will include an enthusiasm and a flair for product design and new product development.
- You will be tenacious with sound business acumen and the drive to succeed.
- You will possess a passion for creating solutions with a positive attitude to change and excellent analytical skills.
- You will have the ability to contribute to a team effort whilst being a self-starter, highly motivated, and willing to take the project lead.
- You will need a logical approach to problem solving and a methodical, investigative and inquisitive mind comfortable working within a QA system.