7 days left
- Full Time
The Designer is a key-creative within the magazine team, working closely with the magazine’s editor, and under the direction of a Senior Art Team member, to deliver a consistently high-quality publication. The Designer has the ultimate responsibility to ensure the delivery of all magazine pages & packaging for 13 issues a year. To deliver this, the Designer works closely with the editor to plan and implement; the Production Editor to ensure a smooth workflow, and photographers and Illustrators to provide the incredible imagery to support the title. Throughout this process, the Designer is directly supported by a member of the Senior Art Team.
As part of the Art & Design department, Designers are junior members in our team of more than sixty creative print designers, split into divisions headed up by one of the Senior Art Team (a mix of Group Senior Art Editors and Group Art Directors). Reporting to one of these creative managers, Designers are supported and mentored as they gain incredible experience of strong commercial, editorial design amongst many of the industry’s most experienced craftspeople.
- It is the Designer’s primary role to produce all aspects of layout and design in the assigned title, or an agreed allocation across more than one title, within budget and to deadlines.
- The Designer will be expected to adhere to grids and typographic styles that are already in place, and design within the brand-style of the title(s). The Designer must interpret the direction of the senior creative staff to produce the title(s) to a good company standard.
- This role requires strong design and typography skills, attention to detail, good organisational skills, a calm approach and strong self-discipline.
- The Designer will also brief internal or external art & photography as required, under the guidance and assistance of the Group Senior Art Editor or Group Art Director.
- The Designer works in Adobe Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator to plan, design and layout pages of the magazine, working closely with team members and managing art resources to ensure an efficient and effective production process.
- The Designer attends forward planning meetings and debriefs, contributing ideas for designs and themes going forward.
- Always aim to improve the magazine(s) and deliver quality product and design, above the expectations of the readers and advertisers, and under the direction of the Senior Creative team.
- Create illustration themselves wherever possible.
- The Designer may also commission and art direct internal and external photo shoots/illustration under the direction of the Group Senior Art Editor, and as assigned budgets allow.
- The designer is responsible for the quality of the photography or illustration in the publication
- Ensure that all rights-tagging is completed accurately across all assigned product
- The Designer must understand the importance of managing and reporting their own workflow, to ensure the measured production of their title(s).
- A sound working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
- Design and typography skills sufficient to create all aspects of the magazine
- Strong personal organization and time management with the ability to work to very tight deadlines and within a budget
- Graphic Design degree or equivalent experience, along with some experience of commercial projects