Product Development Placement
Upffront is a small, start-up online marketing and distribution company. We promote “performance sailing systems” and are building a worldwide sales and marketing infrastructure. The two directors have extensive knowledge in performance marine products and their distribution. The business has just received a large European Government backed loan which allows it to move into an accelerated growth phase.
The company operates from two sites. Our warehouse and fulfilment operation is in Kiel, N. Germany and a sales & marketing plus product development team based in Valencia, Spain.
The company is initiating an intern programme, offering internships from 3-9 months, to bring in young talented individuals and give them opportunities to contribute and make a real impact on the development of this exciting business. Under the guidance of the directors, you will have a key role in developing our technical product information, working with suppliers and handling technical customer enquiries relating to sailing systems.
All Product Development Interns should have fluent English and an interest / passion for sailing.
With a constant through-put of high quality students, we are hoping to create a talent pipeline and as the growth of the business permits, to turn internships / placements into full-time roles. As an internet business focussed on end consumers, in a very niche field, we see little value in employing experienced industry professionals. We are actively trying to change the way people do business in the marine industry and therefore, with the Directors extensive product and industry knowledge to fall back on, we intend to grow a young team from the ground up. There will be opportunities for management roles for any individuals showing the drive, enthusiasm and ability to lead others as the business grows.
- Maintain the integrity of the technical information on our website
- Develop measurement and specification standards to simplify comparison of different supplier’s products
- Develop specification tools and resources
- Produce standard format upffront drawings
- Drawing Library
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of a drawing library
- Ensure strict version control processes are in place
- Ensure Website product drawings are up to date across the whole site
- New product development
- Gather data for specified new products and put the data together to conform to our standards and prepare for upload to the site
- Integrate new products in terms of related items across the existing site content
- Supplier relations
- Develop and maintain links with specified suppliers to ensure we are fully up to date with latest product developments and product news
- Assist in the development of a standard interface checking tool
- Requires categorisation of different rigging interfaces
- Standardisation of terminology and methodology
- Collating accurate product data
- Working through functionality of a systems builder
- Customer service and support
- Assist with day/day customer technical enquiries
- Studying for, or recently completed, a degree in engineering
- To be clear: this is not a specific engineering role
- We believe the general characteristics of a good engineer will fit this role in our organisation
- We are looking for people to manage and specify technical sailing products
- Excellent IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Web literate
- CAD and 3D modelling / rendering skills would be useful
- Motivated, enthusiastic, self-starter
- Takes initiative and can work alone or in a small team
- Organised, accurate but fast worker, with close attention to detail
- Good people skills
- This business is about our customer’s passion for performance sailing.
- We are looking for employees who share that passion
- Therefore, we are looking for engineers who are experienced, top-level sailors
- Upffront will develop as a multilingual site
- Therefore, we are actively looking for international students who bring an additional language to the business
- However, the business language is English and fluency in English is essential