Solent Students' Union are looking for a Student Trustee. The Trustees are ultimately responsible, individually and collectively, for all activity within Solent Students’ Union. The Board of Trustees is responsible for setting the vision and values of the organisation and for ensuring the delivery of organisational purpose. The Trustees ensure the development of, and agree a long-term strategy and approve and monitor plans to deliver the strategy.
- Ensure that Solent Students’ Union acts in accordance with its charitable objects, constitution and other guiding documents and remains true to its Mission, Vision and Values.
- Help Solent Students’ Union achieve its objectives and improves the lives of its members
- Ensure that Solent Students’ Union complies with all relevant legislation and regulations, including relevant Charities Acts and Education Acts, and related regulatory requirements
- Ensure that Solent Students’ Union does not undertake activities that put its financial stability, members or reputation at undue risk.
- Work with other Trustees, staff and volunteers in a constructive manner and for the greater good of the Union
- Participate fully in Board meetings.
- Use their personal skills and experience to ensure Solent Students’ Union is well run and efficient
- Seek professional external advice where there may be material risk to the Union or where the Trustees may be in breach of their duties, or at any other appropriate moment.
- Add value to the Board and the Union through generating ideas, challenging the status quo, broadening thinking and supporting and promoting innovation and creativity..
- A current student of Southampton Solent University and registered on a course for the 2016 / 2017 academic year
- Evidence of successfully working in a leadership or governance role (through work or voluntary experience) (Desirable)
- A good understanding of the issues affecting students in the UK and at Southampton Solent University.
- Awareness of the systems and structures in, and issues affecting Higher Education. (Desirable)
- An awareness of the effective governance of organisations (public, private or voluntary sector). (Desirable)
- A understanding of relevant legislation and statutory requirements, including charity law, employment law and health and safety law (Desirable)
- The ability to challenge the status quo, test perceived wisdom and question authority.
- Sound judgement and the ability to think corporately and strategically; ability to handle competing priorities and make informed decisions.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to relate to and communicate effectively with, people at all levels.
- A leader on equality of opportunity who values diversity and removes barriers to equality.
- An effective leader who is positive, determined and resilient enough to cope with the demands of the role.
- An excellent role model who promotes the highest standards of probity, integrity and honesty.
- All out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed; this will include reimbursement of travel costs to all meetings, and other reasonable costs incurred whilst carrying out the duties of being a Solent Students’ Union Trustee.