OnBoard Operations Officer
The Royal Yachting Association, based in Hamble, is the national governing body for all forms of boating, including dinghy and yacht racing, motor and sail cruising, RIBs and sports boats, powerboat racing, windsurfing, inland cruising and narrowboats, and personal watercraft.
Would you like to co-ordinate a programme which has introduced over 750,000 young people to sailing and windsurfing?
Would you like to co-ordinate a programme which is proven to develop character traits and life-skills and has had a profound positive effect on many young people’s lives?
If so, we would like to hear from you!
The Royal Yachting Association (RYA) is seeking an exceptional individual to co-ordinate the RYA OnBoard programme: the RYA’s grassroots sailing and windsurfing programme for 8-18 year olds.
- You will be responsible for leading and delivery the OnBoard Programme under guidance from the Participation Manager and Director of Sport Development.
- The role is varied but primarily consists of the liaison and guidance of approximately 250 OnBoard clubs and centres (who are signed up to the programme); ensuring they are sufficiently supported to effectively run the programme, issuing resources (when applicable), promoting the programme nationally and regionally and co-ordinating the bimonthly newsletter and website.
- It also involves the co-ordination of the John Merrick’s Sailing Trust annual donation of boats and boards to promising youngsters who display enthusiasm, drive, talent and commitment to the sport and who may not ordinarily have the opportunity or financial backing to achieve their goals.
- It’s an exciting time to be jumping into this role, the programme has just been through an extensive redevelopment with a new brand identity, new resources and an extra focus on the life-skills which we know sailing and windsurfing are proven to develop in young people.
- You will be organised, proactive and keen to make a difference to the lives of young people.
- A background or experience in sailing and windsurfing is not essential, but desirable.
- You will be able to work well with a variety of different types of people and your strong diplomatic and people skills will ensure you get the most from the people you work with.
- Experience within marketing and social media would be an advantage. As would strong project management skills and a track record of managing your time effectively to meet deadlines.
- The role is based at the RYA HQ in Hamble, Hampshire although is does include the occasional travel to conferences and events elsewhere within the UK.
- Consequently, a clean UK driving license is desirable and also the availability to work flexibly including the occasional weekend.
- Range of benefits including pension scheme, free life insurance, 25 days annual leave plus public holidays.