Depression Self Help Group Discussion Facilitator
DA Southampton is a self-help group for individuals struggling with depression and other mental health problems. We are based on Rose Road in Southampton and we meet every Tuesday evening from 7-9pm.
- On a weekly basis, we have roughly 15-30 people attending and so we are one of the largest self-help groups in the area.
- We aim to provide support for our members through openly sharing together and building trusting relationships.
- We also equip individuals with knowledge and skills to enable them to reach their own goals where appropriate, whilst remaining impartial.
- We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers who would be interested in learning how to facilitate small group discussions within the Tuesday evening group.
- This requires empathy, good listening skills and the ability to remain objective and impartial during conversations.
- A good understanding of the importance of confidentiality, and to communicate effectively is also necessary.
- We are looking for someone who can commit to attending our group frequently and for an extended period of time; this helps us to encourage a trusting, sharing environment.
- As well as providing some formal training in showing empathy, listening and dealing with conflict, we believe that we can offer the opportunity to learn more about the realities of mental health problems and the operation of a self-help group.
Additional information about the DA Southampton Self Help Group is available at:
Additional information about peer support is available at:
If you have any questions please contact
Bryan Palmer, firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07545187188