Southampton Hub Manager
We are a fast-growing charity working in UK universities to mainstream
student-led social action, empowering a new generation of active
citizens. We support students to take part in a wide range of social
action and social enterprise projects; leading volunteering projects
tackling local community need, setting up innovative social enterprises,
consulting for local community organisations and gaining workplace
experience in social impact organisations.
Student Hubs is only 10 years old but has already grown its network to over 26,000 students across our network of Hubs. We support 2,500
volunteers every year to take part in our programmes, partner with
dozens of national charities and social enterprises, and hundreds of
local community organisations across seven cities. For more information about our impact, visit studenthubs.org/impact.
We need the strongest staff team possible to support the big
ideas that students bring to the table and make our vision a
reality. Could you be part of it?
This is a new role and offers a fantastic opportunity to lead on the work of Student Hubs at the University of Southampton, supporting Southampton students to increase their impact in the world around them through a wide range of youth projects. You will be responsible for working closely
with the University, students, local schools and organisations, building new relationships and working in partnership with others. As Southampton Hub Manager, you will be responsible for all aspects of Southampton Hub, successfully overseeing the delivery and development of all programme areas. Our focus at Southampton is on delivering high-quality interventions for young people from disadvantaged backgrounds; the Southampton Hub Manager will play a key role in developing our activity in this area, and ensuring we are responding effectively to local need.
This is a superb opportunity to create significant social impact, develop vital skills and work with outstanding people, both at Student Hubs and in Southampton and the wider Hampshire area. We believe in challenging and trusting you from early on - you’ll receive plenty of responsibility and freedom to lead on our programmes and shape the direction of our work in this area. You will receive support and take part in training to help you develop personally and professionally. Previous Hub managers have gone on to gain senior management roles at Student Hubs and other organisations - this is a fantastic opportunity for career progression whether within our organisation or as a stepping stone.
- Lead on all Southampton Hub fundraising and finances, including leveraging funds through the University, Trusts & Foundations and other partners.
- Oversee delivery of Southampton Hub’s Key Social Action Activities, with potential to expand and develop core programmes to engage more students.
- Ensure all agreed outputs and outcomes are achieved on time and within budget, taking responsibility for all aspects of Hub programme delivery.
- Schools Plus: our flagship volunteer tutoring programme, enabling local school pupils to reach their academic potential through support from student volunteers in weekly sessions.
- Code Plus: connecting disadvantaged school-aged children with student volunteers for technology-focused outreach in local schools and libraries at after-school clubs.
- Branch Up: a programme of activity days providing disadvantaged young people aged 7 to 13, who have difficult backgrounds or caring responsibilities in their family.
- With the help of student volunteers who act as positive near-to-peer role models, children are able to enjoy cultural and educational activities that they would not normally have access to.
- Empower: a time-bound mentoring scheme following a specific curriculum, focused on building skills for pupils expected to underachieve at school with an aim to increase educational attainment and confidence.
- LinkAges: our intergenerational volunteering project, connecting student volunteers with isolated older people in Southampton for activities and befriending.
- Gain financial and operational support for programme delivery and expansion by maintaining and developing senior level relationships with key university stakeholders.
Gain financial support for programme delivery by maintaining and developing relationships with funders in the Southampton community, including trusts, foundations and corporate partners.
- Gain strategic and financial advice through excellent stewardship of the Southampton Hub Advisory Board, including recruiting new members and organising termly meetings.
- Support the Southampton Hub President to lead the student committee, providing training and one to one support as necessary.
- Line manage the Southampton Hub Projects Officer.
- Recruit and line manage any additional members of staff hired by Southampton Hub (depending on funding).
- Developing a long-term strategic plan for Southampton Hub, in partnership with the Student Hubs team and the Southampton Hub Advisory Board.
- Providing students with leadership opportunities by engaging them with governance, programme development, finances and fundraising, locally and with the national Network.
- The ideal candidate will be an ambitious self-starter with relevant project management experience, a passion for social action, and a desire to grow within their role in the charity.
- As an enterprising and self motivated individual, you’ll be driven to build on Southampton Hub’s success to date, improving our current programmes and looking for ways to expand our offering.
- You’ll be excited by the idea of growing the social action movement amongst Southampton students, and will be comfortable communicating with a range of stakeholders; from students to local charities to senior figures at the University.
- Experience of effectively building and maintaining relationships with a range of stakeholders; comfortable communicating with senior stakeholders as well as students
- Experience of fundraising, and an innovative approach to income generation
- A confident, can-do and proactive attitude
- A persuasive enthusiasm for social action and social enterprise
- Strong organisational skills with an attention to detail
- A flexible approach combining energy, enthusiasm and a willingness to learn
- Commitment to Student Hubs’ Vision, Mission and Values and ability to fit into our organisational culture
- Educated to degree-level or similar
- At least one year of work experience post-graduation, in the social impact or higher education sector
- Experience of managing significant projects
- Experience of youth work or a similar field (Desirable)
- Good understanding of social enterprise and social innovation (Desirable)
- Experience of student social action (Desirable)
- Experience of delivering and facilitating training sessions (Desirable)
- Experience of managing volunteers (Desirable)
- An understanding of the needs of students at the University of Southampton (Desirable)
- Experience of organising and delivering events in collaboration with external partners (Desirable)