Graduate Tunnelling Engineer
6 days left
- Full Time
We are looking for Tunnelling graduates to join our teams specifically in Birmingham & Croydon. Our Tunnelling Group is currently working on several projects within the UK and overseas and is looking to increase the core UK based team. The successful applicant will receive guidance and support from other team members and is expected to maintain and develop knowledge of current professional thinking through available training, individual study and learning. The successful candidate will be required to work within a team of engineers on a variety of tunnelling projects.
- Work within a wide range of sectors offering a challenging and varied workload, including: Water transfer tunnels; Highway tunnels; High Speed, Standard & light rail; Mining; Airport infrastructure; Onshore & offshore tunnels; Power tunnels.
- Application of civil, structural and geotechnical knowledge gained throughout your degree.
- Feasibility studies & optioneering, through preliminary and detailed design; in particular the importance of understanding how designs can be constructed safely.
- Tunnel, shaft and cavern designs in hard & soft ground using a variety of construction methods.
- An understanding of how underground structures interact with the surrounding ground and affect the existing environment and structures around them.
- Identifying and resolving complex engineering problems using finite element software backed up by solid empirical methods.
- An understanding of quality assurance and contracts.
- In time you will be required to lead small projects or elements of larger projects and provide support and advice to other members of the team.
- Identifying opportunities to expand the existing business through client managers to build a broad and influential network through effective communication.
- Willing and able to work towards professional qualifications (ICE).
- Demonstrable interest in tunnelling projects and promoting the tunnelling activities in the transport and utility sectors.
- Capability to satisfy client and business expectations and be able to consider the wider financial and commercial implications of their actions.
- Communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing.
- Structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole.
- Ability to work independently without losing initiative & focus.
- A degree in Civil or Civil & Structural Engineering.
- An MSc/ MEng in Soil Mechanics/Geotechnical/Tunnelling Engineering, or similar, would be an advantage.
- Any existing construction experience achieved through the degree would also prove advantageous.