Graduate Civil & Structural Engineer (Nuclear)
AECOM is one of the world’s largest professional engineering consultancies, bringing a comprehensive portfolio of multidisciplinary engineering skills with our structural engineers frequently providing the leading role in the development of building projects. We are currently engaged in a wide variety of building projects from world class sporting venues through to commercial properties, healthcare and research, hotels and resorts, industrial and manufacturing developments. These projects are located both in the UK and increasingly overseas. Within the Power sector we are at the forefront of the burgeoning energy sector from Nuclear New build, Nuclear Decommissioning, wave and wind energy through to transmission.
Civil & Structural engineers work closely within design teams to ensure that the projects we create together perform sustainably and holistically to meet the brief and budget. Increasingly we work with our other internal business lines such as architecture, environment, transportation and our own project managers to provide a one stop solution to our clients and their projects.
We wish to recruit graduates across our UK offices who can bring passion and flair to our work, have a real interest in improving the built environment and want to now apply their recently gained engineering skills to the real world.
- Design methods using a variety of structural materials,
- Practical application of the current design software that allows to us deliver design solutions efficiently and effectively, including pseudo static and finite element analysis.
- The skills necessary to present our engineering solutions – this will include sketching and an understanding of the use of 3D drawing and applications of Building Information Management (BIM).
- Develop a working knowledge of UK, European and American Standards
- Design of nuclear facilities including structures to support the construction of nuclear power stations, laboratories, processing facilities and stores along with their associated infrastructure.
- Nuclear decommissioning design – developing bespoke safe solutions to unique facilities to process, reduce and store the UKs nuclear inventory.
- Assisting in the development of our projects through the different design stages, from concept, preliminary, developed and detailed design.
- Attending meetings and workshops with stakeholders including design professionals and operators
- Develop an understanding of Safety Cases and their application to structural/civil solutions in a regulated environment.
- Participate in Safety and Risk workshops.
- Inspections during the construction phase
- Enthusiasm and drive to become a Chartered Engineer
- Demonstration of the desire to create opportunity or make the most of opportunities to develop academic, engineering or life experiences
- Due to the nature of our client projects, you will need to meet the requirements for baseline security clearance in the UK
- Masters degree (MSc/MEng or equivalent) in civil or structural engineering or similar, accredited by a professional engineering institution such as the Institution of Civil Engineers or the Institution of Structural Engineers