Graduate Building Services Engineer
AECOM is one of the world’s largest professional engineering consultancies, bringing a comprehensive portfolio of building services and engineering skills to projects encompassing all types of building and use from World Class Sporting Venues through to Commercial Properties, Healthcare & Research, Hotels, Industrial & Manufacturing, and Infrastructure both in the UK and increasingly overseas. Building services engineers work closely with the design team to ensure the projects we create together sustainably perform to the brief and budget. Increasingly we work with our other internal business lines such as Architecture, Environment, Transportation, and our own Project Managers to provide a one stop solution to our clients.
If you can bring passion and flair to our work, have a real interest in improving the built environment and want to now apply your engineering skills to the real world then we want to hear from you. Our Building Services Disciplines Include: Mechanical Engineering - The quality of a building’s internal environment plays a significant role in determining its fitness for the purpose for which it was designed. The mechanical engineer by the application of modern control technology allied to energy efficient heating, ventilation and airconditioning systems, allows occupants to vary conditions within the building although this all starts with working with the architect to ensure the buildings form is sufficiently thermally efficient to enable energy targets to be met or exceeded.
Electrical Engineering - We deliver expert thinking to drive efficient solutions for High and low voltage power supplies, utilities, standby generation, UPS, resilient systems, small power, fire alarms, security, lighting and power. We pay attention to critical systems and resilience levels.
Public Health Engineering - Energy efficient solutions are provided for hot and cold water systems, sprinklers, drainage systems, water treatment, dry risers and irrigation.
When a graduate starts with us we pair them with an experienced engineer who will guide and mentor them through their initial period working on live projects.
The following description lists a fairly typical approach to foundational training in your discipline; however, business needs, project task availability, and your training interests will also influence the scope and order of training.
- System load calculations to enable central and secondary plant to be accurately sized
- Ensuring plantrooms and distribution routes are adequately sized
- Report writing for the appropriate RIBA stage
- Compiling technical specifications appropriate for the system components selected
- Determining the best technical solution and evidencing reasoning.
- Working on projects using REVIT & AutoCad
- Giving structure to ideas – lots of 'taking a first pass' at spreadsheets, reports and analyses for discussion later rather than instruction
- Attending meetings and workshops, learning from listening, asking questions and discussion
- Working with people from other disciplines to gain knowledge on new subjects
- Assisting in developing our designs through the different stages
- Inspecting and monitoring installations during the construction phase.
- Taking on more responsibility in managing our projects from inception through to completion as the graduate role develops.
- Microstation, AutoCad and/or Revit would be advantageous
- Relevant Industry related work experience would be advantageous
- An accredited Bachelor degree (min 2:2 or equivalent) in mechanical,e lectrical, building services, or public health engineering with honours, plus either an appropriate Masters degree or Engineering Doctorate (EngD) accredited by a professional engineering institution or an accredited integrated MEng degree, to pass or higher. Accreditation being with CIBSE, IMechE or IET.
- Good Bachelor’s degrees may be acceptable for an electrical position depending on an applicant’s other merits.
- Maths and sciences A-Levels (or equivalent) would be advantageous, at grade ‘B’ or above