Health and Safety Construction Administrator
The job encompasses providing clients with key project advice in respect of construction health and safety management matters. The main aspects of the role are 1) to help clients to carry out their duties under the CDM Regulations 2) to co-ordinate health and safety aspects of the design work and 3) to co-ordinate the production of the health and safety file. Involvement in construction projects will be from the earliest stages right through to completion. The role works under the direction of a partner or other senior members of the practice but minimal supervision and independent working is expected.
- CDM Co-ordination:- Advice and assistance - providing proactive advice and practical help to the client in response to client and project demands.
- Advising on competence of client appointments, when necessary - providing specific advice, systems or support to the client on how to comply with Regulation 4 and Appendix 4 of the ACop relating to health and safety resources and competence.
- Co-ordination and Co-operation - ensuring that suitable arrangements are made and implemented for the co-ordination of health and safety measures during planning and preparation for the construction phase.
- Management Arrangements - supporting the client in identifying and ensuring suitable arrangements for the project; how they will be delivered by the team to achieve project safety and other related client-project benefits and how they will be reviewed and maintained throughout the life of the project.
- Information Management - developing a strategy with the team for maintaining the flow of relevant health and safety-related information throughout the lifetime of the project to make sure that what is needed reaches the right people at the right times.
- Design risk management - promoting the suitability and compatibility of designs and actively seeking the co-operation of designers at all project phases when dealing with the risk consequences of construction and workplace design decisions.
- Start of Construction Phase - providing support for the client and advising on the suitability of the principal contractor's construction phase plan. The client will be entitled to rely on the CDM Co-ordinator's advice at this transitional phase, as it is a focus on the main objectives of planning and preparation for the project's safety.
- Construction Liaison and Involvement - encouraging and developing links between permanent and temporary works designers and actively liaising with principal contractors to ensure safe design.
- Communication: Advising clients on the practicality of their project in terms of the CDM Regulations. Meeting and liaising with clients and establishing good working relationships with necessary contacts.
- Advising clients at all stages of a project relevant CDM issues. Attending regular meetings with clients, designers, contractors and other specialists including engineers.
- You should be registered with the Association for Project Safety and have practical experience.
- Competent to inform the client of his duties under the CDM Regulations.
- Expert in drafting and notifying project particulars to the Health and Safety Executive.
- Ability to identify investigations or surveys required in connection with the CDM Regulations.
- Familiar with procedures for collating and storing health and safety information.
- Proficiency in preparing Pre Construction Information Pack.
- Ability to review and comment on the development of the Construction Phase health and Safety Plan.
- Ability to review and comment on adequacy of Health and Safety File.
- Be computer literate in MS Word and Excel.
- Understand and having a knowledge of the legislation relevant to the construction industry and to specific building types when required.
- Have a full driving licence.
- Maintain membership of professional bodies with continuing professional development.