Embedded Design Engineer in Electromagnetic Super-Sensing – KTP Associate
The post is full-time, fixed term for 36 months with the possibility of securing permanent employment depending on performance.
The job - An exciting opportunity for a recent graduate or experienced postdoc to work on both software and hardware design as part of a large multi-phase flow meter development project. The project will focus particularly on the development of a digital Electromagnetic water-cut and salinity meter. This is a technically challenging application that demands product design for industrial use, using accelerated computational and electronic hardware based on modern general purpose graphical processing unit (GPGPU) and/or field programmable gate arrays (FPGA). The Company is committed to the development, embedding and integration of the electromagnetic tomography technology with sufficient sensitivity to accurately capture the composition and dynamics of conductive fluids within their engineered products.
Throughout the project, the KTP Associate will play a key role in managing and implementing strategic developments in the business and transferring knowledge between the University and the business.
The company- Oil & Gas Measurement Ltd is an R&D driven firm developing highly efficient and robust "Sampling and Metering" products. Its main aspiration is to dominate the global custody transfer market by providing quality (composition sampling) and quantity (flow metering) products, expanding R&D activities through this project.
- A PhD or an equivalent professional qualification and significant relevant experience in one of the following: Electronic & Electrical Engineering or Physics.
- Proficiency in designing, implementing and debugging digital systems.
- Experience in developing and implementing complex imaging algorithms into parallel platforms such as GPGPU or FPGA.
- Knowledge of signal processing techniques.
- Knowledge of embedded software.
- Knowledge of scientific programming language such as C, C++, Matlab or python
- Proven experience of project management principles (ideally experience of working with subcontractors).
- Software Development - GPGPU implementation of an electromagnetic tomography software.
- Project Management - Working in an industrial environment to project manage and lead (under company supervision) the development, design and testing of the water-cut meter for robust industrial use.
- Electronics Hardware Development - Tasks will include development and refining laboratory electronic circuit prototypes and mechanical assemblies to optimise the key elements of the system, (e.g. sensing arrays, drive electronics, multiplexing, signal detection and EMC screening elements).
- Research - Tasks will require development of sensitive admittivity measurement and tomography imaging techniques, hardware and advanced signal processing capabilities.
- Teamwork and motivation - This project is part of a wider team effort and flexibility will be required when scheduling tasks and there will be some mini-projects in addition to the KTP projects.
- Initiative and problem-solving - The main objectives of the project and the desired timeline are set but how they will be achieved will be dictated by the evolution of the research. The Associate must therefore be self-motivated to complete the tasks and manage the project accordingly
- Customer Interaction - Learn about customer needs via face-to-face meetings and pilot testing of prototypes.
- Gain valuable experience and highly transferable skills
- Take early responsibility for a high profile project
- Receive mentoring from the company and an experienced academic team
- Opportunity to gain a professional qualification