Graduate Civil Engineer - Traffic Engineering
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM.
We have a number of exciting opportunities across the UK for graduates to work within our Traffic Teams. The Traffic team is focused on developing engineering measures to achieve a safe and efficient movement and interaction of pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles on the roads. We focus mainly on developing and appraising practical solutions which require consideration of traffic flows, road geometry, cycle facilities, traffic signs, pavement engineering, traffic signals and intelligent transport systems. We strive to achieve the optimum use of the available space which is often constrained, especially in urban areas.
Our Traffic teams are currently involved in a wide range of projects from concept and preliminary design, traffic modelling, through to detailed design and implementation. We often work alongside other construction professionals in multi-disciplinary teams. Overall we deliver sustainable cost effective solutions to our clients, whether they are local or national authorities or private developers. Work is often fast paced and requires creativity, tenacity and excellent communication to achieve the right result for our clients whilst respecting the requirements of wider stakeholders and maintaining the highest industry standards’.
Recent projects include the East – West Route Cycle Superhighways (London ) , Southwark Highways and Professional Services contract, Thames Tideway tunnel, design of a new Manchester Metrolink extension to Trafford Park , research into driver behaviour on UK Motorways and the Temple Hill/Frascatti Cycle Scheme in Dublin.
- When a graduate starts with us we pair them with an experienced engineer who will guide and mentor them through their initial period working on live projects. Training is arranged on our software engineering tools such as Autocad/Civls3D and when, where required , traffic modelling software including LINSIG, TRANSYT and VISSIM to ensure all our engineers have a full set of design skills.
- Early work with us will typically be assisting in developing our designs through the different stages, attending meetings and workshops with our clients and other design professionals.
- As a graduate develops they are expected to take on more responsibility in managing our projects from inception through to completion.
- Candidates will use industry leading computer software and BIM modeling programs while working on a variety of different projects including: Road design, Cycle lane design, Traffic management planning, Traffic modelling, Intelligent transportation systems (ITS)
- BEng in Civil Engineering, or BA/BSc Geography, Maths or Physics 2:2 (or equivalent)
- MEng in Civil Engineering 2:2 (or equivalent), or MA/MSc Geography, Economics, Maths or Physics would be an advantage
- And/or MSc in Transport Planning
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, technically proficient, with ambition and drive
- Basic computer skills essential (Word/Excel) and good report writing skills beneficial
- Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in.
- Our programmes form a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future.
- We have over 1,000 graduates on our programmes across the UK and Ireland , from over 30 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in.
- We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK and Ireland.
- We demand the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time.
- You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme.
- There will be on-the-job and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.