Graduate Civil Engineer - Transportation, Highways Engineering
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM.
One of our key business lines is Highways which is currently expanding due to a number of recent high profile project wins that will add to our already impressive portfolio of nationally and internationally significant projects. We are looking for ambitious, hardworking, enthusiastic Civil Engineering graduates who have computational, mathematical and design skills.
Our graduates work on a variety of projects, from concept design to implementation for clients who operate either locally, nationally or internationally.
AECOM is an internationally recognised leader in highway consultancy, giving our clients a range of services including planning, design project management and asset support services. Our Highways design team is award winning and industry leading in Building Information Modelling (BIM) and has been at the forefront of cutting edge design for a new highways concept of ‘smart motorways, on several UK based projects.
Our Highways division boasts over 700 employees across 23 offices in 7 countries in Europe alone and is constantly expanding; with a number of exciting opportunities now available for graduates to work within our Highways team across the UK and Ireland supporting operations in Europe, Middle East and Africa.
The Highways team delivers a range of different projects across the globe working with funding agencies, national and local governments, highways authorities and private organisations. Our graduates work on projects from initial concept through to construction and operation, fulfilling diverse design, project management, stakeholder engagement, business innovation as well as technical and site assurance roles. Working as an AECOM Highways graduate requires collaborative behaviours, as our integrated projects often bring together teams of specialists to deliver for our clients.
Our current portfolio of works comprises a diverse mix of local, national and international highway and infrastructure improvements : for example, the Foynes to Limerick TEN-T Core Network new road in Ireland, local council road improvements for the Midland’s Highway Alliance; strategic highway schemes for the Welsh government, Transport Scotland or Transport Northern Ireland, like the York Street Interchange in central Belfast; smart motorways on the M3 and the M6 for Highways England; and major integrated schemes such as the Mersey Gateway. Other projects include the London Highway 2 Alliance, Dublin Airport Second Runway, the Forth Replacement Crossing in Scotland, the A1 Leeming to Barton project, the A47 Corridor Road Investment Strategy and the Stockholm Bypass in Sweden; the world’s largest highway tunnel project.
Our graduates pursue excellence in delivery for clients, continually seeking out innovation, so we will expect you to engage, participate and excel in our creative design culture.
- Candidates will use industry leading computer software and BIM modeling programs while working on a variety of different highway specific expertise including: Transportation economics and planning, Feasibility and corridor studies, Environmental studies, Highway design, Traffic management planning, Pavement analysis, Drainage plans, Utility relocation, Streetscape design, Vulnerability analysis and security systems, Intelligent transportation systems (ITS)
- Criteria varies across practice lines, consult the relevant job description for minimum requirements.
- All graduate roles require a minimum of a 2:2 classification (or equivalent, ie 50% or above) in a relevant degree and less than 2 years post grad relevant work experience
- BEng in Civil Engineering, or BA/BSc Geography 2:2 (or equivalent)
- MEng in Civil Engineering 2:2 (or equivalent), or MA/MSc Geography would be an advantage
- And/or MSc in Transport Planning
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, technically proficient, with ambition and drive.
- Basic computer skills essential (Word/Excel) and good report writing skills beneficial.
- Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in.
- Our programmes form a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future.
- We have over 1,000 graduates on our programmes across the UK and Ireland , from over 30 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in.
- We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK and Ireland.
- We demand the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time.
- You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme.
- There will be on-the-job and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.