Software Placement Student
- Full Time
Gill Research & Development Limited has rapidly expanded to become a leading supplier of innovative solutions to such varied industries as Motorsport, Defence, Medical, Aerospace, Process Control and Meteorology As part of the Gill group of companies, we are involved in the full product lifecycle, from initial pure research through full production development to low- and high-volume manufacture.
As a privately owned group, Gill recognises the importance of home life and encourages its staff to work smart, in superb conditions, at its newly refurbished offices and factories in Lymington. Employees are encouraged to be innovative and challenge the status quo as we forge ahead with extension of our product ranges to continue our successful growth strategy. Every employee can influence the success and direction of the Company through their individual contribution. We have the flexibility to adapt to take full advantage of each person’s skills and experience.
Lymington is a vibrant hub situated on the South Coast. The area boasts unparalleled leisure opportunities from water sport in the Solent through horse riding in the New Forest, with the nightlife of Bournemouth and Southampton less than ½ hour in either direction.
Gill is offering a software engineering industrial placement for 2016/17 during a student’s ‘sandwich year’, providing an opportunity for a suitable individual to join a focused and friendly team.
This placement will provide the opportunity to gain hands-on experience working on one or more technical projects to deliver innovative solutions to our customers.
Software features in almost all our products and this placement offers the opportunity to get involved with a range of projects utilising embedded software, Graphical User Interfaces (GUI), web based applications, developing for standalone sensors through to an integrated Internet of Things (IoT) system
Gill Research & Development projects are often structured with a multidisciplinary team and this placement will provide exposure to working alongside other engineering and support disciplines, increasing skills and knowledge.
List of Duties / Work Programme / Responsibilities
The successful candidate will work on software development activities that will typically be new product introductions for our sister companies Gill Instruments Limited and Gill Sensors and Controls Limited.
Project work usually requires considerable practical aptitude and involves the full software development lifecycle. Relevant technical training will be provided where necessary. Specific activities include:
- Requirements gathering and documentation
- Software high and low level design using recognised methodologies such as OOA/OOD or Structured Analysis and Design
- Implementation of software including embedded software, IP based systems, Graphical User Interfaces, embedded Linux and data management
- Formal testing
- Liaison with multidisciplinary teams
- Support and enhance existing software
Personal Skills and Attributes
We require students with a dedicated attitude and a keen willingness to learn.
Candidates wishing to be considered for the available position will also need to exhibit good practical skills, show innovation and creativity in the work conducted to date.
The successful candidate will be organised, self-motivated individual and have good verbal and written communication skills.
Position and Person Requirements
- Undergraduate course of study in Software Engineering or a strongly related course (2nd year minimum).
- Understanding of the complete software lifecycle
- Practical experience of at least one programming language
- Basic software design skills in a recognised methodology e.g. UML
- An understanding of the issues involved in developing and using relational databases
- Understanding of software testing principles with the ability to write and perform tests.
- Ability to write requirements, user manuals and document own work.
Placement Student – Skill Group Lead