Summer Placement Systems Engineer
Your role as a Leonardo Summer Placement Systems Engineer will be to support the design and development of our world leading electro-optical, communications and information system products under the guidance of experienced Systems Engineering Leads.
You will be introduced to utilising state-of-the-art methods, technology and tools to explore all aspects of the development lifecycle, including requirements analysis, design, implementation, test, acceptance and product support. You will interface with customers (internal and external) on many factors within the design and liaise closely with Engineers from all other disciplines including Mechanical, Software, Electronics, Supportability and Design Integrity.
Systems Engineers develop requirements into real world solutions using Requirement Management tools such as DOORS and developing 'models' using tools such as MATLAB/Simulink. In many cases these models are used to automatically generate operational software code.
- To learn the skills required to become a professional Systems Engineer.
- Working to timescales.
- Work as a contributory engineering team member (with support).
- Undertake day-to-day engineering activities with some guidance and support.
- Ask for support where appropriate and learn from more experienced team members.
- Contribute to engineering team decisions, and understand why such decisions are made and their relationship to project success criteria.
- Explore new experiences and opportunities to learn within the engineering environment.
- Studying towards a Degree in Systems Engineering, or other subject (eg Science, Mathematics) relevant to high tech development.
- Candidates must be able to obtain SC security clearance and have a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.
- Candidate must be self-motivated and willing to take on new challenges.
- Strong communications skills are essential.
- The ability to develop good working relationships with stakeholders.
- Systems Engineering is a fundamental element of all our products and as such Systems Engineering provides the support and environment necessary for learning and career development.
- As a summer placement you will fulfil the role of Systems Engineer with support and mentoring from a team of world class Systems Engineers.
- Provides the support and environment necessary for learning and career development.
Tip: Solent Futures, Solent University’s employability and enterprise service advises that you ensure your CV is the best it can be before you submit it. Look at our online guide or email email@example.com for feedback. You might want to visit us in RM 001 11am – 4pm to get your CV checked and, if you are invited for interview, to arrange for a mock interview.