Church Finance Officer
CLEAR is a project of City Life Church. CLEAR welcomes all those who have come to the UK to find sanctuary from persecution and armed conflict. CLEAR offers advice, information and guidance for refugees and asylum seekers. CLEAR’s employment service provides support to clients with their job search process. CLEAR runs ESOL classes and is an approved Adult Learning Provider and offers a range of short courses which are primarily aimed at increasing the skills needed for work and volunteering opportunities for our client group.
- Process information monthly to enable wages and expenses to be paid accurately and in a timely manner to all employees.
- Manage the Group Pension ensuring both employer and employee pension contributions are accurate.
- Be responsible for maintaining records of Gift Aid donations and submitting quarterly Gift Aid accounts.
- Carry out all international money transfers for the charity.
- Manage the Edith’s Home and The Community Fund accounts ensuring all transactions are recorded appropriately and transactions are reconciled to the bank statements.
- Be responsible for overseas trip finance administration.
- Maintain a good filing system; ensuring appropriate paper and digital records are kept.
- Provide regular finance updates and reports as required by church and project leaders.
- Be the main point of contact for the auditor and be the lead person responsible for the end of year accounting process, submitting returns to the Charity Commission and Companies House as required.
- Liaise with the CLEAR Finance Officers to ensure timely information is available and to ensure that finance officers within the charity are able to cover one another’s roles in the event of sickness or annual leave..
- Manage the day to day finance operations of City Life Church and the projects it is responsible for, ensuring all transactions are appropriately recorded in the accounting software and relevant spreadsheets.
- Ensure reimbursements and bills are paid in a timely manner, checking that spending is in line with agreed budgets and appropriate authorisations are in place and kept on file.
- Be the main signatory and point of contact for managing the church, Edith’s Home and Community Fund bank accounts and business card(s); ensuring all transactions are reconciled to bank statements.
- Be responsible for keeping track of IOUs, liaising with service suppliers, and issuing timely, accurate invoices and ensuring their timely payment.
- Manage and oversee the running of the church petty cash.
- Be responsible for collation of financial information relating to external grants and contracts, including maintaining and submitting expenditure records as required.
- Provide financial input into the end of year accounting process, the charity annual report and charity AGM finance presentation.
- To take every opportunity to raise support for City Life Church and its projects.
- To attend regular supervision with your line manager.
- To attend any relevant training courses as required by your line manager.
- Provide support for other Finance Officers within the charity and cover essential elements of their role during any period of absence.
- To carry out appropriate duties, in line with the purpose of the job, as may be reasonably required by your line manager.
- Hours: part time (11.25 hours, spread across a minimum of 3 days)
- GCSE Maths and English or above
- AAT accountancy qualification or equivalent Experience, Skills & Knowledge
- Excellent computer literacy with the ability to manipulate spreadsheet data effectively and accurately.
- Bookkeeping experience and familiarity with accountancy software
- Good experience in financial administration
- Experience in general office administration and filing, including detailed, organised, accurate record keeping
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to plan ahead and prioritise tasks appropriately.
- Able to organise and manage financial records across a wide range of projects.
- Proven reliability, ability to organise, time keeping and data management
- Experience of using QuickBooks
- Familiarity with audit requirements Personal Qualities
- Self motivated
- Able to communicate, form positive relationships and act professionally with people from a variety of backgrounds
- Approachable, welcoming and able to make good first impressions
- Motivating and encouraging of others
- Commitment to safeguarding
- Proven team player with a sense of humour
- Commitment to the values and ethos of City Life Church
Tip: Solent Futures, Solent University’s employability and enterprise service advises that you ensure your CV is the best it can be before you submit it. Look at our online guide or email firstname.lastname@example.org for feedback. You might want to visit us in RM 001 11am – 4pm to get your CV checked and, if you are invited for interview, to arrange for a mock interview.