GO! Southampton is the Business Improvement District (BID) for Southampton City Centre. Funded and led by local business, the BID is using its 5-year term to implement a range of initiatives that will create a greater city entre experience, deliver better marketing and events and develop stronger business. Working in partnership with local stakeholders, the BID’s ultimate aim is to realise Southampton’s potential as a world-class city, which will in turn benefit residents, visitors and the businesses that fund it.
As one of the larger BIDs in the country, GO! Southampton collects approximately £1 million in levy payments each year and runs a large number of projects using this money to make improvements to the city centre. We aim to be one of the most innovative BIDs by using new technology to achieve our objectives.
To ensure the smooth running of the office and all administrative aspects of GO! Southampton’s work as well as providing general support for various events and projects. It is likely that this individual will play a key role in the BID’s move to new office accommodation in 2019.
- Office Administration
- Assisting in facilities management issues and office moves
- Ensuring insurance and other policies are up to date and cover the company for all activities/eventualities
- Understanding how all office equipment and systems work in order to be able to help other staff (or arrange training as required).
- Ensuring office equipment is maintained, faults resolved and consumables ordered when necessary
- Keeping a register of office assets (including location) and ensuring office is kept in order
- Managing the general email account and other incoming communications
- Receiving visitors and callers to the office, providing refreshments and directing to colleagues as necessary
- Database and Relationship Management
- Keeping the Customer Relationship Management(CRM) database up to date and using it to send out mailings
- Ensuring other team members record Levy Payer interactions and reminding them when visits are due
- Running meetings to discuss issues arising from Levy Payer visits
- Conducting visits or calls to levy payers to update them on BID initiatives or update contact information on the CRM.
- Using the CRM to compile lists and reports.
- Liaising with Southampton City Council on any and all issues around the collection of the BID levy, maintaining continuous communication relating to payments and changes in levy payers.
- Ensuring all governance obligations with Companies House and other parties are met
- Acting as Data Controller for the company, ensuring compliance with GDPR
- Financial Management
- Recording invoices received and preparing schedule for approvals
- Issuing invoices and purchase orders
- Dealing with accounting matters for all theme groups, receiving invoices, checking amounts with team members and passing onto the external financial manager
- Finding and setting up accounts with approved suppliers
- Meeting Management
- Booking venues and catering for meetings, collating presentations, circulating papers and taking minutes of board, theme group and team meetings
- Mailing out meeting papers and invitations to events, as well as collating bookings
- Ensuring audio-visual equipment and any other requested equipment and attendance lists are prepared for meetings and events
- Keeping meeting schedule up to date
- Data Collection
- Contacting third parties to collect news that is relevant and useful for Levy Payers
- Managing the annual BID survey (creating the poll (paper / online))
- Managing weekly project tracking (ensuring team members keep documents up to date)
- Collecting data from third parties for use in various BID reports.
- Additional Support Activities for GO! Southampton’s Events and Projects
- General admin for events (receiving and recording emails, calling stakeholders, creating lists etc.)
- Ordering merchandise / equipment etc. for events / projects
- Representing the BID on a stand at various events, e.g. Freshers’ Fairs, University Open Days, Southampton Boat Show etc.
- Coordinating logistics of some projects (eg leaflet distribution, volunteer rota etc.)
- Undertaking any other task commensurate with this role.
- A minimum 2 years’ experience in an administrative or similar role.
- Experience of using a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) System (eg. Zoho)
- Experience in managing multiple projects to strict deadlines
- Experience of working with suppliers to get the right result at the right price.
- Confident IT user, with knowledge of shortcuts and advanced functionality of Microsoft programmes.
- Educated to Higher Education level with GCSEs (or equivalent) in English and Maths.
- Experience of using HR management systems such as Breathe or Cascade
- Experience of using accounting systems such as Xero or Sage
- An understanding of BIDs.
- Skills and abilities
- Attention to detail and a determination to get things right first time and every time.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, with the ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Confidence on the phone and face to face to deal with suppliers and levy payers, even when conversations are challenging.
- The ability to master new skills, systems and processes quickly and with limited instruction.
- The ability to be flexible, revising priorities when urgent requests come up, while meeting deadlines.
- The confidence to take ownership and responsibility for administrative process, ensuring the rest of the team follow those processes.
- Please ensure you send a covering letter of no more than 500 words as well as a CV with your application.
- The deadline for applications is 12pm on Wednesday 14 November.
- Interviews will be held on Monday 19 November.
Tip: Solent Futures, Solent University’s employability and enterprise service advises that you ensure your CV is the best it can be before you submit it. Look at our online guide or email email@example.com for feedback. You might want to visit us in RM 001 11am – 4pm to get your CV checked and, if you are invited for interview, to arrange for a mock interview.