Electrical Engineering Graduate, Control and Instrumentation (ECandI)
Established by the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA), nucleargraduates is a ground-breaking graduate programme created to develop a new generation of talented graduates for the UK nuclear industry. Sponsored by a by a formidable partnership of companies including Rolls-Royce, the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) and Sellafield Ltd amongst others.
Upon accepting an offer for a place on the nucleargraduates programme, you will be matched with one of our sponsors. Organisations looking to sponsor electrical engineers on the programme include Rolls-Royce and Jacobs.
- The two-year programme consists of three secondments chosen by you.
- You can expect to find yourself working with government, on-site, with the private sector supply chain and regulatory authorities.
- There is also the possibility of undertaking an international secondment, to date our graduates have completed secondments with over 100 different organisations and bodies across the nuclear industry, both at home and abroad.
- A dedicated mentor, assigned to you upon starting the programme, will help you plan a two-year programme tailored to you and your development goals.
- nucleargraduates provides a unique opportunity to experience different parts of the industry before re-joining your sponsoring organisation at the end of the programme on a full-time basis.
- Your programme will be broken down into technical and behavioural training, structured against the needs of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) with whom you will be working with to gain chartered engineer status.
- You will come together with your fellow graduates to complete 'core' training such as project management and commercial awareness, as well as having the benefit of an individual training budget for training, resources and conferences specific to your personal development.
- As a nucleargraduate you will have a programme bespoke to you, no two nucleargraduates’ journeys are the same.
- This is a unique opportunity to experience the different aspects of our complex, ever-changing industry before starting employment with your chosen sponsoring organisation to continue your career and professional development.
- On top of this, you will spend 10% of your time with us on Footprints, our corporate social responsibility programme. You will have the opportunity to become a STEM ambassador, passing on your knowledge and enthusiasm to the next generation of engineers and scientists.
- You will establish a start-up company, developing your commercial awareness and growing your appreciation of the challenges faced by a small business.
- You will work with local community projects, meeting inspirational individuals.
- The Footprints programme offers a range of remarkable experiences to help you develop your understanding of the political, social, environmental and community contexts in which the nuclear industry operates, both at home and abroad.
- nucleargraduates are looking for individuals keen to learn and able to influence others through their attitude and actions. Mobility, adaptability and tenacity are crucial for this role.
- Most importantly, we are looking for graduates who can achieve real results whilst showing humility as an individual and in a team environment.
- Applicants must be driven, able to manage their own time and take full advantage of the opportunities presented to them by the scheme.
- Candidates will be subject to the Office of Civil Nuclear Security (OCNS) clearance checks.
- Candidates must have an attained or expected result of 2:2 or above in electrical or electronic engineering.
- A masters-level qualification would be desirable.
Tip: Solent Futures, Solent University’s employability and enterprise service advises that you ensure your CV is the best it can be before you submit it. Look at our online guide or email email@example.com for feedback. You might want to visit us in RM 001 11am – 4pm to get your CV checked and, if you are invited for interview, to arrange for a mock interview.