Trainee Ships Agent
OUR CLIENT ..... is a privately owned, progressive market leader in the shipping agency sector with a network of offices across the UK, Belgium & the Netherlands. Whilst innovative in their approach, traditional values such as service, excellence, accountability and safety are at the centre of everything that the business does. They are now looking to recruit a trainee to complete a 12-week initial training period and become a valued member of the ships agency team. After the initial training there will be an opportunity to study for the ICS (Institute of Chartered Shipsbrokers) Foundation Diploma.
- within the first 12 weeks of employment you will read through all sections of the New Starter Training Programme and confirm that you have read and understood all details
- you will be required to board vessels shadowing experienced Ships Agents
- you will work in the office to learn how to accurately complete relevant HMRC and cargo documentation
- you will build on your experience by boarding vessels unaided to attend Captains’ and crew requirements.
- you will work as part of a professional team on a duty roster to board vessels and carry out general office duties to ensure our principals receive the highest level of customer service.
- AFTER TRAINING
- you will visit ships in port to competently attend Masters’/crew requirements unsupervised.
- this will at times require working out-of-office hours, evenings and weekends as directed by the Agency Manager.
- when sufficient experience has been gained you will be included into a Ships Agents boarding roster
- you will be responsible to accurately prepare, complete and despatch routine HMRC and ships’ cargo documents.
- this will include the accurate and timely presentation of Statements of Fact
- you will plan and coordinate vessels husbandry requirements
- you will input accurate information onto an inhouse system and prepare and complete ships files
- you will begin to learn how to calculate pro-forma port costs and husbandry costs
- as and when requested you will travel to and work from other port locations to build-up your knowledge and gain further experience.
- Have a full clean driving licence
- Be highly self-motivated, able to work independently and within a close-knit operational team
- Be able to demonstrate developing interpersonal and communication skills
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of the need for close attention to detail
- Be able to demonstrate reliability and the capability of working on your own initiative
- Be able to demonstrate good computer skills.