Your role will be working on the BBC Intranet (Gateway) which serves all 20,000 employees. The Intranet is going through a redesign and restructuring process and this is an opportunity to contribute to the success of the development program.
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications with review and mentoring by others in the team
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensuring code quality
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools, supported by others in the team
- Contribute to technical documentation
- Help to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support (with support from other in the team)
- Learn and use the team's agile planning and delivery process
- Learn and participate in the teams software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies
- Computer science/software engineering graduate or equivalent experience developing production software
- Competence in one or more mainstream development languages and frameworks
- Experience of one or more mainstream development and deployment tool chains (IDE, SCCS, CI)
- Knowledge of the web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design)
- Effective collaboration within a team – ability to speak up, challenge, agree and commit (desirable)
- Experience of database use in software applications (desirable)
- Experience of agile project working within a professional software development environment (desirable)
- Experience of releasing their software to a production environment (desirable)
- Excellent career progression: the BBC offers great opportunities for staff to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities: our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community: we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical opportunities: We work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Competitive salary package
- Flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance
- 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days,
- Defined pension scheme
- Discounted dental
- Gym and much more.