Marketing Officer (Winchester Science Centre & Planetarium)
We are seeking an energetic, creative and analytical Marketing Officer who will thrive in a busy working environment and enjoy making a valuable contribution to Winchester Science Centre and Planetarium.
The organisation is working on an ambitious five-year business plan that will see the centre develop and grow substantially. This is an exciting opportunity to join a dedicated and determined team, committed to achieving the business and charitable aims of the organisation.
- Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Marketing Officer will be responsible for developing and delivering the annual marketing plan; promoting the centre, its events and activities to key target audiences across a range of marketing channels.
- There will be a strong emphasis on digital marketing and the development of a brand new website.
- With guidance and support from the Director of Marketing and Communications, the post-holder will be responsible for delivering the annual marketing plan, specifically:
- Manage the website, ensuring that content is on brand, accurate, relevant and timely.
- Working with the Director of Marketing and Communications and external website agency, support the development of a new website.
- Manage social media channels – creating and scheduling engaging and exciting content, including paid-for campaigns, to promote all aspects of the organisation’s work.
- Utilise third-party websites to promote the centre and its activities, including tourism, education and event listings and promotions.
- Create timely and relevant e-newsletters.
- Monitor and provide monthly reports on website, social media and e-marketing performance.
- Monitor and respond to online comments, questions and reviews, reporting and escalating response handling where necessary.
- Create content for, and manage, onsite promotional spaces – poster sites, banners, digital screens and literature displays.
- Develop, produce and arrange distribution for marketing material - promotional flyers and literature for events, tourism and education.
Film and photography
- Develop and manage the centre’s photo/video library, ensuring current and suitable images are used for marketing and PR.
- Photograph and film events and activities for PR and social media. Ensure that all people captured in images have given consent and signed a model release form.
- The Marketing Department will be representing Winchester Science Centre and Planetarium at a number of festivals and events annually. This will include travel and occasional evening and weekend duties.
- Attend tourism and business meetings.
- Answer the main incoming telephone
- Assist with general office administration as required
- There will be occasional work, meetings and events in evenings, early mornings and at weekends which will be compensated by time off in lieu. Additional overtime would be arranged only with agreement of both the employee and line manager. Occasional travel will be required.
- The ideal candidate will have a flair for writing, an eye for design, great interpersonal skills and a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Experience of events and tourism marketing
- A good knowledge of current marketing best practice and new developments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to write compelling copy for a variety of media and audiences
- Good interpersonal skills and confidence in communicating with wide ranging audiences
- Proven experience of creating, scheduling and monitoring social media
- An interest and good eye for design – particularly with photography and graphic design
- Ability to prioritise workload and work to demanding deadlines
- Excellent proofreading skills
- Creative, collaborative with a ‘can do’ attitude
- A good team player
- The ability to work independently and manage own workload
- Analytical with the ability to interpret data
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Marketing/communications qualification
- Proficient using Adobe Photoshop and InDesign
- Experience of updating website CMS
- Experience of using Mail Chimp or similar mass mailing platform